Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 snooz

snooz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

So i just installed xp but cant connect to the internet. I keep reading to make sure to have your network drivers installed but i really have no clue where to find those either online or on my mobo disk. ( i have a dfi INF. NF ULTRAII-M2 motherboard btw) So i was wondering if you guys have any tips or something that is easy to miss that im missing.

also i have my old hd that crashed but i can plug it in with my new hd and get my files from it. So i was thinking there might be a way to get my network files from my old hard drive if possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

Are you trying to connect with dial-up or cable, or what?

#3 snooz

snooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

cable through a router and its wired.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

Have you unplugged the modem from both the power supply (for several minutes) and the computer and reattached them?

#5 snooz

snooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

yeah i tried that

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

I figured you had, but thought I would throw that out there just in case. If your modem is not showing up in device manager or is showing up but with problems, I would try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work or if your modem is showing up in device manager wiithout any problems, I would disconnect from the router to make sure that is not the problem and if that doesn't help, I really have no idea other than calling the cable company and seeing if they can help in some way.

Since those are my only ideas, I will leave this for the more knowledgeable ones in the forum to help you with. There are very many here who are way more knowledgeable than me. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

This is one of those situations that you may find working with you ISP may be of help, that is of course they speak English and don't have to read from a manual while helping. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

<<...really have no clue where to find those either online or on my mobo disk...>>

Typically, inserting and running the disk on autorun...will reflect any device drivers which need to be installed.

The DFI website does not appear to be functional at this time.

Louis

#9 snooz

snooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

yeah ima call comcast 2morrow maybe they can come set it up

also here is a screen shot of my network connection screen and my device manager.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well...it looks like your NIC is working properly.

FWIW: Your Device Manager shows that you need to install your audio drivers for your system. I would suggest installing those from your drivers CD.

Louis

#11 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hey that is strange, doesn't it say on your screen-shot that the LAN is connected? So you problem is that you are connected but your access to internet does not work?

Try to go to Start/Run type cmd and type ping www.google.com

If it times out, try to ping your roter. If you get a proper ping, the problem is the router or modem rather than the computer. Then you need to call ISP. Do you have green lights on the modem and rooter?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#12 snooz

snooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

K I tried the ping www.google.com and it says "ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try again"

I'm pretty sure it isnt my modem or router because the computer im on right now is connected to the same router but wireless.

Is there any other screenshots i should take for you guys to help me out?

Also thanks a lot for the help so far!

#13 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

ping your router please...

on that PC where you have got internet and is connected via the same router go to start/run type cmd and type tracert www.google.com

the first IP address is your router

on the second PC which has no internet connection ping that IP address go to start/run type cmd and type ping IP address.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#14 snooz

snooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

weird when i go to start>run and type cmd it opens but then closes right away. So i cant do that. Also someone on a different forum noticed I dont have any Ethernet adapter drivers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users