Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Unable to locate DLL' Error Messages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoSensGo

GoSensGo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

All of a sudden, we are getting 'unable to locate dll' error messages on our computer. The computer is currently running Windows 2000.

Error messages appear on start-up and reappear on screen every five seconds after start-up. (i.e., clicking OK does not fix the problem, so the error message just keeps popping up. We just move the error message off the screen to keep working on the computer for the time being).

Error messages all refer to missing dll file msvcr70.dll. Some of the error messages also refer to vptray.exe, or ccSetMgr.exe, or ccApp.exe.

The error message also lists several directories (I guess where it is expecting to find the msvcr70.dll file).

c:\program files\common files\symantec shared
c:\winnt\system32
c:\winnt\system
c:\winnt\system32\wbem
c:\program files\atitechnologies\aticontrolpanel
c:\oracle\oracle8.1
c:\program files\quicktime\QT system

Not sure if this is virus related. In any event, we have run the following spyware/malware programs as a precaution:

- Avast Antivirus
- Spybot
- Adaware
- Stinger

Certain viruses/malwares were detected and removed.

We also ran 'autoruns' and deleted a few items which we thought were unusual from the start-up process.

Internet connection still works, although the computer seems to be a bit slower now.

We also started the computer in safe mode and the above error messages did not appear.

Any thoughts on how we go about resolving this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

msvcr70.dll is a module containing standard C library functions such as printf, memcpy, and cos.
It is a part of the Microsoft C Runtime Library.

Do you have an original W2k CD? If not pay attention to the second part of the tutorial about the i386 folder:
sfc /scannow
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 GoSensGo

GoSensGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

we don't have the original installation CD for Windows Professional 2000, so we copied i386 to c:/ and modified the registry and ran sfc.exe /scannow.

we received the following error message:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006 [The RPC server is unavailable].

We have a Windows Upgrade CD to convert the operating system to Windows XP, which is supposed to be specific for our Dell desktop. Do you think upgrading to Windows XP will fix the dll problem? Is it a major endeavor to upgrade the OS? What will happen to all of our data? Will it have to be backed up before upgrading?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

It's possible but it also might prompt you for the W2k disk I've never done an upgrade with the disk you have.
You said that you had some viruses. You must be absolutely clean to do a successful upgrade. It would be benificial to take the extra time to do a HJT log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Finally, there "should be" no problems losing any data but you never know
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users