Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printer not printing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mar4

mar4

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

I'm using windows 98 with a Compaq Presario 1670 laptop and a Epson Stylus C60 printer. Everything was fine until I installed Norton 2005 systemworks/utilities/anti-virus program. My computer is running VERY SLOW even when I close out running programs. The worst thing is that none of my documents will print! I have even gone into the control panel/printer/properties and clicked onto the "test print page". The computer states that it's printing but nothing happens. Normally I can right click on a document and the box will say print. It does not do this anymore. When I go to File and then print, the computer states that it is now printing page 1, and so on, but nothing happens! I am at a complete loss! I can't print out emails or anything from the web. Can anyone help?

(Mod edit: moved post to a more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 01 June 2005 - 08:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

Hi mar4,

Assuming you have your printer connected to your computer with a paralell cable ( the end plugging in the computer is male with 25 pins)
Let's see if this will work...

Click START, RUN type in command.

That should open a DOS window (blask and white)
type in...

dir > lpt1

Does the printer react?

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

Rigel, thanks for responding. My printer does respond when I did what yo suggested. A blank page came out, but it still won't print a document. I'm at a total loss- do you have any more ideas? Thanks- mar4

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

Suggestions:
1. Power off the printer and laptop and unplug and replug the interface cable at both ends.
2. At the command prompt type "dir" (no quotes) do you see a list of files/directories? If not type "cd c:\windows" and do "dir" again. when you get a list of files etc. type the "dir >lpt1" command again. If the printer spits out blank paper you need to get either new print cartridges or a new printer. Repeat until you get ink on paper.
3. Once you can get print from DOS try the 'print test page' from the windows printer properties. If that does not work delete the printer and reinstall it.
4. If reinstalling the printer does not work check your BIOS settings for the parallel port - they should be set to at least bi-directional (not standard), possibly EPP or ECP (?) check your printer manual for requirements.
5. Does the epson software have a port diagnostic? Look for the printer software under Start>programs>Epson something usualy there is a diagnostic with a stupid name like 'toolbox' or similar.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 June 2005 - 04:15 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:32 AM

Everything was fine until I installed Norton 2005 systemworks/utilities/anti-virus program.

Norton is known to be very resource intensive and it would seem to be too much for your laptop in combination with 98. I would uninstall that in favour of a program like AVG or AntiVir (both free).

The factory specs on that computer make it an AMD K-6 2 350Mhz with 64MB of ram. I wouldn't run Norton on that machine at all. Get back to square one without the Norton, then look at the printer issue.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: Thank you soooooo MUCH!!!!! My printer is now working!! You guys are livesavers!!!
Mar4

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

Great news mar4 and thanks for posting back.

So, what worked? :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

I uninstalled norton 2005 and did the unplugging and replugging of the cable and the dir>lpt1 thing. The printer produced a blank page but then when I did the "test print page" it worked! It's still a little tempermental though. My ink monitor goes off and then my printer doesn't work again but I just go into programs and click the ink monitor back on.
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users