Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Vundo Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 cielo_rojo

cielo_rojo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hello,

This morning a fake windows security icon appeared in my taskbar. I was unable to open Firefox to find out how to remove the virus so I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Afterwards, I resorted to Internet Explorer to connect to the internet and discovered it was infected with pop-ups. There were several sites, including this one, with people who had the same problem as mine, so trying to fix it I ran SmitFraudFix.exe, Malwarbyte's Anti-Malware, and did a system restore. In the end, I was able to reinstall Firefox and it now works without a problem and all virus scans have come up clean, however, the security icon is still in my taskbar so I'm fairly sure the virus is still there and will get progressively worse later. I tried to run the DDS program as recommended in the prep guide, but the .txt file that appeared is unreadable. Attached is my HighjackThis log. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hello cielo_rojo,

Posted Image

Sorry about the delay.:thumbup2: If you still need help, please post a new HijackThis log to make sure nothing has changed, and I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Thanks,
tea
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users