Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Use Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bolterdog

bolterdog

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I anticipate the need to take my daughters laptop in for repair. As this may take some time and she uses it for her school work, I would like to know if it is possible to back up her computer on an external hard drive and have her access it on my desktop while hers is out for repair. This also gives me the opportunity to back up all my desktop data and was wondering if it's possible to have one external hard drive do these 2 things. I'll leave it there for now as all the rest of my questions are based on if its possible to do what I want or not. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

If you are backing up Mydocuments, Mypictures, Mymusic etc.. Then you can back up as many computers as you like just be sure to change the folder names to reflect the persons files it contains. Since both computer will be using the same default names if you don't change them they will overwrite eachother.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users