Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Lockup - Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bolterdog

bolterdog

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

My daughters Gateway 6815 Vista SP1 laptop is developing a symptom that I fear will turn into a catastrophic problem. There are 2 seperate issues, the first is while on the internet the computer freezes, to the point that Ctr/Alt/Del and the reset button do nothing. The only way to bring it back is to unplug and remove and reinstall the battery. This has happened 5-6 times in the last 3 weeks or so. I have done several scans for malware and virus issues and there are no indications of this being the cause.

The second issue has happened twice and occurs after the computer has been on and set down for a couple of minutes but not put to sleep or in hibernation, just left on and set down. When she returns to continue working, the screen is black and says:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v1.02 (060529)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

The only way to recover from this is the battery out method. There is still warranty and we will take it in, but I would like to have some idea of what is happening prior to taking it in for repair. I will be posting a question about how to deal with the computer being gone for an extended period in the External Hardware Forum to see if I can put her info on an external hard drive and use it on my desktop while hers is in for service. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like the bios is resetting when the computer goes into hibernation. On a PC this means the cmos battery is likely dead. I believe it means the same on a laptop. There could be other contributing factors that someone with more laptop exp may know of.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

When this happens again and you get it to reboot, check the Event Viewer for errors posted.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users