Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot install CD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kappa

kappa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

I am trying to re-install xp and it keeps giving me "no boot device available - strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility"
The boot sequence has the CD drives(s) at the top.
I have removed the secondary CD drive and both hard drives and the Cd will still not boot.
It currently only has a CD drive installed and the CD will still not boot. I tried another XP cd and a 98 cd both will not boot either. I tried a Ubuntu Cd I used last week and that wont boot either.
It is the same error no matter what Cd drive I use to install.
Any ideas would be appreciated..
Any USB program that will start a command prompt?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Did you reconfiure or change your CD drive lately?
Is this a desktop?
Are you certain the drive power and data cables are plugged in?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 rabbit67

rabbit67

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I had the same problem. Think i pressed f8 and booted in safe mode then restored to an earlier version. It turned out that my burner drive had a problem so I disconnected it.

Just guessing because I did not write down how I got it working.

#4 kappa

kappa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

@FrankOtheMountaiN
It is a desktop (Dell Dimension 9100) and I haven't changed the drives or settings.
I was planning on switching out the hard drive to a 1 tb, so I was moving my files to my external.
I dont have the new drive yet so I was trying to install a fresh copy of xp, the drive was reformatted in another computer.
now the computer wont recognize any bootable CD

@rabbit67
I tried both drives in the computer and both won't boot from the CD.
The hard drive is blank so I can't boot into safe mode.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Is the cd/rom SATA or IDE. Is it recognized in the bios?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

Do you have "boot virus detection" enabled in your bios? If so, disable it and try it again.

Reason I ask that is I have a brand new Windows XP disk and I wanted to make sure it worked so I tried to boot with it, it did not work. I knew I had booted from one of the CD drives once before with a "fix-it" disk so I tried the other CD drive, still did not work. I became afraid it was the Windows disk but was not ready to accept that. I then wondered if it was because of the recent change I made enabling "boot virus detection" so I disabled that and tried it in the first CD drive again, it worked. Unfortunately, it did not make it so I could boot from the second CD drive, and that is the one I wanted to use, but it did let me boot from the first one. I do not know if that is suppose to stop it from booting from the CD drive but it seems to be what stopped it on my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users