Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia scan showed 1 vulnerability.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I just did a Secunia scan and found only 1 vulnerability and it was in my IE 7.x.
"This installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats."
My version is 7.0.6000.16791
I have searched the MS site and can't seem to find anything and tried googling.
My OS is xpsp2.

I look forward to comments, thank you.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

Did you do Windows Update last week? Microsoft issued a security patch for IE7. And the Secunia message should include a direct update link. I got the same thing last week and that's what I did.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

Hmmm...I will have to look for that update, is there a number?
And since I am new to Secunia...I did not realize that there is a possible solution there. I have always taken the notice and did my searching with M$ update, but that did not help me on this occasion.
Then I googled and found some negative comments there re the bulletin?
Not sure what this is about since I am not tech oriented.
Thank you.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

Open Secunia. Go to the page that lists vulnerable programs. On the right hand side, there will be a direct link to the IE7 update and just click it. That will take you to Microsoft Update. I don't remember the number, just that there was a security patch for IE7 and a couple of other things. I have had no problem with this or any other Windows updates. Normally I have them set on auto but this worked just as well.

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Go to Add/Remove Programs, at the top click on show updates, go to IE and see which updates are installed. Last one should be 10-2-09.

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

Thx ... I did that and see all of the updates for IE 7 and the one that Secunia keeps saying is missing and it is..."KB051066".
I have also googled and see that this patch is also for Outlook Express etc. and that there were some discussions about it not being a good patch?
I am using PSI when I scan and keep getting referred to the M$ Link which basically gets me back to the prior sentence.
I have searched for this at M$ as well and come up with discussions re the patch???

I again am xpsp2 and never have come across this before.
Thank you for your time and interest.

I forgot to say earlier that I did go to 'Add/Remove' and checked out my patches re IE and the 'KB 05166' is definitely not there and I am unsure of what to do.
Sorry for my inept tech knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users