Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satelite P25-S477 modem problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 minnesota

minnesota

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

I have a Toshiba Satelite P25-S477 and my internal modem has been giving me trouble. My ethernet connection is fine, while when I try to connect to the internet with the modem I get Error message 633: the modem is already in use or is not configured properly. Device Status states that the modem is working properly, but when I query the modem I get a message that the port that the modem is attached could not be opened. I am not sure if the internal modem is physically broken. Can someone please give me technical support and a suggestion on the best financial solution for my problem. Should I get an external modem or should I give my computer to the geek squad? Can they do anything about it? Is there anything I could do?

I have looked at the microsoft article about the error (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324760), but I am not sure how this can help.

I am thinking about reinstalling the original software cd for the entire system, but I am feerful of loosing information since I have never done this.

I've been really frustrated with this and it has really pushed me to the edge with my computer, if any one can offer any help or advice that would really be helpful.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerofoam

Aerofoam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

I have a P-25 S 5093 with the same problem, it occured around June 3rd.
I am wondering if there is a conflict with an update.
The update log indicated a toshiba bios update around that time.
The toshiba software modem isn't working and gives an error 633 message, when you query the modem in the device manager diagnose page, it comes back:
"Com port 3 is already in use"
It does this with whichever com port you assign the modem to, so it is the modem
or the drivers, I reinstalled new downloaded drivers from Tosh. and it didn't make a difference. I am currently using a USB "modem Blaster" from creative.
It causes total lock ups that require depowering, so it will go back.....
I have ordered a pcmcia modem and will try to get a new "anatel" internal modem
if I can find one, but I suspect it may be an update conflict......
Does anyone else have any ideas?

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users