Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Corrupt file claims to be using 167GB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

I tried to uninstall my copy of Battlefield 2 from my thumbdrive yesterday, and it failed because a folder called "HUD" could not be read from the source file. Well, I found it in explorer, and it claims to be taking up 167GB of space! This is on an 8GB thumbdrive, crazy man. Anyway, I tried to delete the thing and it says that it cannot be deleted because it cannot be read from the source file. I even tried to use the program "Unlocker", which supposedly deletes on startup before windows, but even it failed. I can't get rid of it, and my thumbdrive says it has 167GB out of 8GB used. It's really really annoying, because I don't actually know how much space is left now...
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I have that same problem on my flash drive. It only holds 4 GB, but there's a file on there that won't delete, but in the file properties, it shows that the file is 55 GB. That is sooooo weird. I wonder how that could have happened? It won't allow me to delete the file, so I guess it's just stuck there.

I can still check to see how much space is left on my drive, and about 1 GB is left, which is correct, so I guess that particular file isn't affecting anything...but I agree with you that it is quite annoying to see an undeletable file that is showing that it's 55 GB on a 4 GB flash drive.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well...on a hard drive, such symptoms might be interpreted as indicating that the drive has problems, either with the file system or hardware.

I'd reformat and watch it, being prepared to toss it.

Louis

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

I can back it up and reformat, I'll try that. It's getting pretty annoying, especially when I'm trying to track how much space my "Programs" file is using or watevs you know?

Anyone else feel like XP is slowly sabotaging you? Seems like I'm seeing more errors now than when they brought out SP1
Ok, I know it didn't take an hour to rip the info FROM the drive, but now the projected time to replace after the reformat is 1 hour???

Edited by Ryan 3000, 15 February 2009 - 04:38 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users