Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mavieen

mavieen

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

I have an iBook G4. I have been fairly happy with it for over a year. I do have one MAJOR problem and one minor problem.

MAJOR: I have MS Word installed on the computer and it seems to crash at least once everytime I use it. I must use word, however, as no other word processing program seems to be as easily compatiable with Windows or as good. I use Word daily for my job and for school. Any way to stop the crashing? I get the "submit report to apple" thing everytime -- is that even worth doing? I have lost so much time and work because of this damn program, but I don't see any way out of using it.

MINOR: I don't use Safari anymore for the same reason--it crashes all the time.

Also, I had VIREX installed on my computer for a year. My membership to .Mac expired, thus VIREX expired as well. Should I have a virus scanner? If so, what is a good one to have?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 morris

morris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

I have no Mac experience really, software anyway...

However!

OpenOffice is very very good!

Thing that comes to my mind instantly tho is, Why try other software when having a crashing related issue? Perhaps you have faulty ram and only trigger the problem when consuming alot of memory?

I think its more likely to be a viral problem, without fully understanding how viruses behave on a mac and just jumping to a conclusion based on PC knolegde:

Viruses crash the computer.

So you should probebly get anti virus sorted.

Question for mac power users:

How vulnerable are you?

Do you have issues like PC users with internet explorer and even some aspects of the windows subsystem being open to buffer overflow exploits?
If you get the time check my links below:

http://www.turntablism.info - music forum
http://www.qwertyhosting.com - affordable, reliable and secure hosting
http://www.tikka-d.co.uk - information regarding reverse engineering and lots of external links

#3 mavieen

mavieen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

The problem does seem to come up more when I am using other programs at the same time. Nothing else will crash--I could have 6 different things running with Word or Safari and only those will crash.
How do you know if it's the ram that is faulty and not just a bug in the software? I don't think I am all that vulnerable to viruses... I do download music on occassion, but I've never had my virus scan program come up with a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users