Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS upgrade offered for old OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hi guys,

I'd love to hear any advice about this.

I have a Packard Bell iMedia 1539 which, when bought, ran Windows XP Media Center. I have since updated to Windows Vista.

I decided to do some updating to the BIOS but found out that Packard Bell only offer the newest driver for my BIOS for XP. Will this matter?

Many thanks,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

It ought not make a difference; but I'm not 100% sure.

Unless you have a compelling reason to update you system's BIOS, you should probably leave it alone. Flashing the BIOS can (not necessarily will, mind you, but it can) brick your machine if anything goes wrong.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

Amazing Andrew is correct.
If it works DON'T fix it.

The BIOS is what tells your computer how to start.
If anything goes wrong during a BIOS upgrade you get to replace the motherboard or buy a new computer.
[Some do have emergency BIOS recovery but not many]

The BIOS isn't a Windows driver.
The BIOS is on a chip attached to the motherboard .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

So if I'm not noticing anything wrong it's best to leave it? Why is a BIOS update available then?

Well thanks for the advice then, I might just leave it :thumbsup:

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

The reasons for BIOS updates...are usually included as a descriptive item.

Not every system with the same equipment...experiences the same problems. If a sufficient number of persons with that item experience a problem...someone will throw a BIOS update at them. Which is why such updates often state something to the effect of...if this isn't you, don't install this.

BIOS updates are not generated for the same reasons that security updates may be put forth by Microsoft.

Louis

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

In addition to what hamluis said, bios updates are often done to add support for new CPU's .

The bottom line is, If your computer is working correctly there is no point in risking a bios update.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

If this is the BIOS update you're talking about, then it's not anything you probably need.

From the release notes:

Updated onscreen Intel logo.
Improved support for EIST.
Updated support for several Pentium D 9xx models.
Corrected displayed name for Pentium D model 805.

As you can see, pretty minor stuff. An updated logo and support improvements for a couple of processors like fairjoeblue said.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 February 2009 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users