Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer hangs while "Verifying DMI pool data".

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skadodie

skadodie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

Specs: LG-95Z motherboard, Intel Celeron D 3.33 GHz CPU & two 1 GB sticks of DDR2 SDRAM.

Series of events that lead to my current problem: One day, I let my computer idle for a few hours (I know this is bad of me, but I had the habit of leaving my computer running all day, every day unless an update was installed and Windows had to be restarted) and when I went to go sign back on to XP, only a black screen appeared, so I manually restarted. I had the options to Start Windows Normally, Last Known Good Configuration, etc. I went through each option but whatever one I chose led me back to that screen. I didn't have an XP disc to run CHKDSK, so I just removed the HD from my computer. I used to have a 300 GB Maxtor SATA HDD running Windows XP Pro installed on my computer. That hard drive ended up dying, so I bought a 1 TB Seagate SATA HDD to replace it. I also bought a new CD/DVD burner to replace my old one that died. I plugged both of those in, and tried to install Windows 7. I couldn't get the disc to work, even though it was a known good disc since it was used on another computer. I received a Windows Boot Manager error that mentioned hardware changes, which made me think of the fact that since it was a much larger HD that maybe I had to flash the BIOS to make it work properly, since I remembered that I had to flash the BIOS when I first got my motherboard to make old HD work. I went to the ABIT web site and saw that there was a new BIOS version available, so I downloaded it on to a floppy. After making a bootable MS-DOS disk with the additional files needed to flash my BIOS, I realized I didn't have a floppy drive installed on my computer. So, I went out and bought an external USB floppy drive, and enabled the USB Floppy HDD option in BIOS. I tried booting to it, to no avail. I realized after the fact that the drive wouldn't work because it required drivers to be installed. I unplugged the USB FDD, ended up finding my old 5+ yr old internal FDD and plugged it in, along with my old and new CD/DVD drives that were already connected. That's when the problems of hanging at the verifying pool data began.

Current problem: Every time I turn my computer on, it POSTs successfully but then hangs while verifying the DMI pool data. I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of.
I have tried booting:
*With no drives connected.
*With only my old SATA HD.
*With only my new SATA HD (which has been partitioned and formatted but doesn't have an OS installed on it).
*With only my new and old hard drives plugged in.
*With only my old EIDE DVD drive.
*With only my new EIDE CD/DVD drive.
*With only my old EIDE CD drive.
*With a floppy drive while both my old and new CD/DVD drives are plugged in.
*Without a floppy drive with both of my CD/DVD drives are plugged in.

*I have tried clearing the CMOS data by switching the jumper from position on 1, 2 to 3, 4 and then back to 1, 2.
*I have removed then re-inserted the CMOS battery.
*I have individually loaded the Default, Fail-Safe, and Optimized settings.
*NOW I cannot change anything other than Standard CMOS settings because my down arrow key will not work, whether a PS/2 or USB keyboard is used. THIS IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM.
*I do not have the latest BIOS version installed. The current version is 12.. I have 10.

:thumbsup: I'm driving myself up a wall trying to fix this... Please help. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

From all that you have said it sounds like the motherboard has went bad. :thumbsup:

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 February 2009 - 03:53 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm AND Computer Hangs atVerifying DMI Pool Data - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

I would have replaced the CMOS battery...it's not an expensive item and it can cause strange problems when on the road to extinction.

Louis

#4 skadodie

skadodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm AND Computer Hangs atVerifying DMI Pool Data - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

I would have replaced the CMOS battery...it's not an expensive item and it can cause strange problems when on the road to extinction.

Louis

If I replace the CMOS battery and still have the same problem, is it more than likely what fairjoeblue said be true?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

If you replace the battery ,set the BIOS to "Default" , & the problem is still there I suggest that,

"NOW I cannot change anything other than Standard CMOS settings because my down arrow key will not work, whether a PS/2 or USB keyboard is used. THIS IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM."

Indicates the motherboard is failing.
The DMI problem shouldn't cause the keyboard problem when trying to change BIOS settings.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 skadodie

skadodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Indicates the motherboard is failing.
The DMI problem shouldn't cause the keyboard problem when trying to change BIOS settings.

:thumbsup:

First my CD burner went, followed by my hard drive & now my mobo is more than likely failing? GRR!

In your opinion, is it a possibility that my power supply caused my HD and MB to crash? I noticed that lately whenever I hit the power button the computer would sound like it's starting up, then shut down for 2 seconds, then it'd come back on while POST is loading.

Also, if my motherboard does end up being bad, if it recognizes the CPU & memory, are they still usable when I buy a replacement board?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

Do you know what brand/model the power supply is ?

If it were mine, & I had one device after another fail, I'd replace the power supply just to be safe !

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

A cascading failure can be caused by many things. One of which is a poorly made power supply frying things or causing unusual problems. Another is a power surge or other electrical event permanently damaging internal components. Your CPU and memory might be salvageable. If they are new enough and your new board supports them, you can simply move them to a new board. I would try replacing the power supply to see if that is at fault.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users