Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot to desktop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 booworthy

booworthy

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hi there, I posted about two months ago that my computer was broken, and I was advised to get a copy of windows xp cd so I could boot to the recovery Console. Its taken a while but i've finally gotten hold of one, and I would appreciate any help you guys could give me! :thumbsup:

Here's where I am at the moment

turn on pc with the cd in, and press R when prompted to, going into the Windows Recovery Console
I am the adminstrator so I get to a screen which shows a long list of DOS commands.

And that's where I'm stuck! I am a complete novice and I am unsure what command to put in. I've been looking at the Fixboot option, but i'm very nervous, as i dont want to lose any data.

A friend of mine who had a similar problem didnt use the recovery console but just clicked an option which said Repair windows, but I could not see that option on the screen, am i doing anything wrong? Thanks for any help you can offer! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

When you get to the page that is black with white letters, this is the command prompt page, just for the record XP doesn't use DOS.

When you get to this page type in chkdsk /r, please notice the space before the forward slash ( / ), and then click on the Enter key on your keyboard.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Edited by dc3, 15 February 2009 - 01:43 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

ahh! see i dont know anythign about Dos im completely clueless =)

Thankyou very much for the help, when i next get near my pc ill try it out! Is there anything else i need to do after this? thanks :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Just post back here and let us know how it went. Good luck

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

Just post back here and let us know how it went. Good luck

ok thx will do :thumbsup:

#6 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi there, I did what you suggested and it all worked fine, it started doing the percent 0% etc when 100 percent it said it had found one error file or somthing and then it finished.

I exited and rebooted but unfortunately it hasnt worked. I tried this again just to be sure, but it still failed to boot to desktop =( anythoughts? ;)

#7 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

I tried it again but when the process is finished, alas it just loops, restarting itself. xD

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Why not tell us exactly what happens on your system when you try to boot into XP?

At what point in the boot process does the system reboot?

Any error messages?

Can you get into safe mode on your system?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

It looks like it's time to try a repair installation.

Because there is always a chance that data may be lost you should back up your important files and applications that you don't have installation discs for to a removable media.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

#10 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

Why not tell us exactly what happens on your system when you try to boot into XP?

At what point in the boot process does the system reboot?

Any error messages?

Can you get into safe mode on your system?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

hi :thumbsup:

the reboot happens before it asks me to log on, instead of a screen which normally shows the different users, it will restart then. A screen comes up saying Windows did not start successfully, etc and after i click an option it will fail and restart.

I havent seen any error messages unfortunately, there was a blue screen of death but because its automatically restarting i didnt look what it said.

I did try safe mode but that failed too.

Ill try to find out the system manufacturer and model :flowers:

It looks like it's time to try a repair installation.

Because there is always a chance that data may be lost you should back up your important files and applications that you don't have installation discs for to a removable media.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

Sounds promising. I am a little worried about the chance of losing the data, could you explain what you mean by a removable media? Is that putting it in another computer and saving it onto that? because unfortunately I only have one pc, and this Libary pc which i am typing from.

I may just end up taking a gamble and hoping for the best though. There isnt anything valuable on there, apart from some prose, creative writing i occasionally do in my spare time (i know it sounds stupid but its important to me :trumpet:) but it would hardly be the end of the world if i lost it.

#11 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

hello, it worked :thumbsup: Looks like my data is ok too :D However there are some issues

1) I installed Windows xp Professional edition, when i use to have Windows XP home edition. so the home edition is still on there.

2) My computer doesnt seen to have an audio device/hardware. It wont play mp3's, or have anything audio.

3) My internet connection that i had set up is gone, and it was set up by someone else so i'm not sure how to go about restoring it. I use a cable from a router to my computer, its a SKY router, and its shared by 3 other ppl. I might have to ask them and see how to go about fixing it.

4) Some computer game i tried to play after reinstalling it wont work, it says my computer is missing some file (cant remember what its called Ill write it down when I get home near my computer)

Apart from those things though, it seems to be doing ok :flowers: Thanks for the help!

#12 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the problems i put in the post above? mainly the sound one :thumbsup: I have an acer computer, but ill have to go find out which kind it is.

#13 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

hello? :thumbsup:

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

You need to install the drivers, do you have a CD for the drivers?

#15 booworthy

booworthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:59 AM

No, I think with my computer came with xp home edition already installed without a cd, and now im using the xp professional edition.

Would i be able to download the compatible drivers off another computer and then install them onto my driverless computer, via a usb stick or somthing? :cool:

thx for reply :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users