Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disconnection due to instalation tip.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Ok, as a complete novice I will pass on my recent experience and it's solution to see if it is relevant to yours.

I have been on the INTERNET for 6 years and have experienced regular disconnections. Just recently it has become a nightmare to the point of giving up.

Then I discovered this...... my set up was to blame.

When I installed the hardware this is how I did it. The telephone master socket was in the hallway so I fitted the filter then from that I connected a 15 meter ADSL extension cable, upstairs to my modem/router. I then connected the modem/router to the PC with the short yellow cable.

All worked fine but as I said I experienced regular disconnections but I became used to it.

Well as I said my set up was totally wrong. Apparently the signal from the master socket to the modem/router is prone to outside interference which will make it disconnect from the internet. Therefore you should only use the cable supplied with the modem/router and not use any extension cable. The signal from the modem/router to the PC is different and that cable can be as long as you like.

Well, I moved the modem/router downstairs and connected it to the filtered master telephone socket with the supplied cable and purchased a 15 meter cable from Ebay (for a fiver) to connect the modem/router to the PC and 'hey presto' no disconnections and a vastly improved service.

Hope this helps someone as it has me

Edited by doresy, 15 February 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hey, good tip! :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 February 2009 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users