Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old PC, New Drive?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 IdMnstr

IdMnstr

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help getting out of my previous jams.

My son's old PC has a motherboard K7T Turbo2. The hard drive had crashed and he did nothing with it. Now I would like to get it running. I bought a new EIDE 320 drive from Amazon. I tried all kinds of things to get it going.

Now I am saying that Bleeping computer.

Can this PC handle the new drive?

I tried taking the drive from my current computer that works fine. M son's PC starts with asking for XP or Win2K and then starts all over again.

I was able to format the new drive on my PC. I came up with it's complete disk space. I couldn' figure out how to make it bootable.

Regards,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi Jim

I was able to format the new drive on my PC. I came up with it's complete disk space. I couldn' figure out how to make it bootable.

You can only have one bootable hard drive on your system. If you added the drive to your system and formatted it, your system will see the new drive as an additional drive which will not be bootable.

Can this PC handle the new drive?

The BIOS may or may not support the new drive.
If it will not autodetect the new drive, you may be able to manually configuring it in the BIOS.
Check the motherboard manual for further info. If you don't have it, look here:- http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=285
Only after you have got the PC to recognise the disk can you go on to reinstalling the operating system.
Steve

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Actually...you can have any number of bootable drives, with the understanding that only 1 can boot at any single point in time.

And each drive can have up to 4 bootable partitions...but a bootable drive can have only 1 active partition (with active meaning the partition containing the operating system now in use) in use at a time.

Active Partitions and Boot Managers - http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structActive-c.html

Just to confuse things :thumbsup:...Disk Management will reflect a second bootable partition on a single disk as Active, while designating the boot partition as System (but it's really the Active partition for that hard drive as long as it contains the O/S being used).

Generally, people use boot partition and system partition to denote the one which contains the operating system currently in use.

Definition of System Partition and Boot Partition - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

Louis

#4 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

Thank you both SLIX & HAMKUIS for responding so quickly.

Does the BIOS auto detect the drive? Yes, I believe it does because I see it in the list when the machine is coming up. Is that correct? Does that mean the bios and controler will support it?

I have no jumpers on it and it is plugged into the end of the drive cable.

What is my next step?

I have a bootable diskette. When I boot I can't change to C.

Regards,
Jim

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi Jim

It sounds like your BIOS is detecting the new drive so you are halfway there.
You didn't say what o/s you were trying to load, but that's not a problem as the procedure is more or less the same for whatever version you are installing.
First you have to find the Installation CD and put it in the CD/DVD drive.
Next, go into the BIOS and set the CD Drive as the first boot device. Save the changes and reboot.
If all is ok then the PC will boot from the CD and start the installation process. This is pretty straight forward - just follow the promps as they appear.

Good luck.
Steve

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

IMO, the easiest way to install XP on a new hard drive...is to just connect the drive (making sure that the jumper settings are correct) and then (after changing the boot order in the BIOS) boot the XP CD and create the new partition and install XP. No reason to format the drive before attempting the install, since the XP CD formats when it creates the new partition.

Things to consider:

a. If the XP CD you use to do the install...does not have at least SP1 included...there is a limit on how large a hard drive Windows (not the BIOS) will recognize. That limit is 137GB.

b. If the XP CD you use to do the install has any of the SPs included, then there is no limitation as to how large your formatted partition can be.

c. The IDE cables you use to attach the drive...there are some considerations here. There are currently 2 types of IDE cables, 40-pin, 40-wire (older) and 40-pin, 80-wire. The newer cables have greater flexibility of use.

A hard drive generally comes from the factory with the jumpers set for a default setting of Cable Select (CS). If that jumper setting is not changed and the hard drive is connected to an older 40-pin, 40-wire IDE cable...there will be problems.

So the best suggestion I can make when dealing with an older system such as yours...is to change the jumper setting on the new hard drive. Change it to the Master setting and connect that drive to the end connector on the IDE cable.

FWIW: Either of the 2 types of cables will work with Master/Slave jumper settings. There is usually a diagram on the drive itself which clearly shows the different jumper settings possible for that drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

After you have the computer set to boot from the CD first, assuming you have a XP CD,

Turn the unit on and put the XP disk in the drive.
Leave the disk in the drive and restart the unit,
Watch the screen for a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD,
Press a key on the keyboard,
Wait while it goes through starting from the disk,
[You may have to press F8 during startup to accept the EULA]
When you get to the screen with the box that shows the current version of XP installed press "D" on the keyboard,
Press "Enter"
Press "L"
You now should have a screen asking what file system you want to format to, NTFS should be selected by default,
Press enter,
The disk will be formatted and the installation will automatically begin when the format is finished,
During the installation the computer will restart DO NOT press a key to boot from the CD again !
At that point the unit will boot from the hard drive and continue the installation.
After awhile you will be asked to "name" your computer,
I suggest naming it the same as the main user ID so you are the administrator by default.
[Example, I have an XP unit named "testbox" the user name is also "testbox"
You will be asked if you want to turn on automatic updates, select NO or Not now,
You will be asked if you want to setup a network connection, click on skip,
You will be asked to enter a user name and password,
Enter the same name you used for the unit ,
Only enter a password if you want to have to log on every time XP starts,
[If you have more then one user you can enter passwords later]
Follow the prompts to finish.
When you get to the desktop the only icon showing will be the recycle bin
Click on the "Tour XP balloon [or icon in the taskbar by the clock] and click "Cancel"
Go to Start>Control Panel,
Double click "Taskbar and Start Menu"
Click on the "Start Menu" tab
Put a dot in the circle by "Classic Start Menu"
[That will put the icons on the desktop]
Click OK
Double click on "Folder Options"
Click on the "View" tab
Go down the list until you find "Show hidden files and folders"
[for future use]
put a dot in the circle by it
Click OK
Close the Control Panel
Double click on "My Computer"
Right click on the "C:" drive
Left click on "Properties"
Click on the "Tools" tab
Click on "Defragment Now"
Defrag the drive
When you are done start installing your other programs and applications
[Defrag again when finished]
When they are installed if you have the "activate XP" notice do the activation,
When you have gotten this far either go to Windows Update and do the updates or go to "My Computer" and right click on it
Left click on "Properties"
When the box opens click on the "Automatic Updates" tab
Put a dot in the circle next to "Automaic [Recommended]
Click OK.
In order for the Automatic Updates to begin right away turn the unit completely off then restart it.

You may have to gop to the motherboard manufacturers website & download some drivers,

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=285

Download the 4 in 1 chipset driver & install it 1st.
[First one listed, 9x/ME/2000/XP]
Then install the sound driver.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 16 February 2009 - 05:48 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Hi,

Sorry I have not been back for a while. Thank you all for your advice. I will try asap. Is there some way I can tell if the CD has no service packs (sp1, etc) on it?

Regards,
Jim

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

It should say right on it exactly what it is.
For example, I'm looking at a Dell reinstallation disk .
[handiest one I have]
It has "XP Professional Including Service Pack 2 " on the label.

If it just says "Windows XP [pro or home] & lists no service packs then it has none.

If the disk you have doesn't have SP1a or SP2 on it only 137GB of a hard drive will be recoognised.
After XP is installed & updated you should be able to format the remainder of the disk as another partition.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 20 February 2009 - 11:30 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#10 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi,

I will have plenty of time to work on this now, I have just been down sized !!

Yes, My CD says "includes service pack 2".

I attempted to boot with the CD.
It said: Setup is inspecting ... then blank screen.

I installed the new drive into a working PC as a slave. Added the jumper to the existing drive to be the master.
Went to disk management and formatted the new drive. Placed a document on the new drive and then opened the doc.
re-installed the drive into the old pc at the end of the cable with no jumpers.
Booted the PC with the CD.
Setup is inspecting went fine.
Formatted the drive with the system (quick)
PC rebootted on it's own and booted from the CD because it was still in the drive.
Setup started again. I select F3 to quit setup.
Removed the CD.
Selected F3 again to confirm the quit.
PC attempted to reboot but stopped with "disk read error, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del".
Changed the 1st boot divice from CD back to diskette. Second boot divice remained to be disk zero.
Saved the changes and PC attempted to reboot again but stopped with "disk read error, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del".

Looks like I am stuck.

Regards,
Jim

P.S. Do you know a good website troubleshoot my PS3 problems? Sony site seems lacking!

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

If you are trying to install XP reread post #7

Notice the part about the computer restarting during the install .

#12 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

fairjoeblue,

Thank you for your reply.

I did take your suggestion and reread post # 7. I do not see what I have missed!

Sorry for being thick but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What is it that you feel I should do now?

Regards,
Jim

#13 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

It has been a few days and no reply.

It looks like I have stepped into an area that is unknown to this site.

I would like to thank everyone for your responses to date.

Regards,
Jim

#14 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

In case someone else might have the same problem I will post the resolution.

The bios setup was in fact seeing the new drive and describing it correctly. The problem came when I saved the setup and re-booted. I received the error Disk read error.

I took it to a repair shop.

They did the following;
Burn new version of BIOS.
Installed Windows XT
Installed drivers needed

They told me that the BIOS would only allow a 130gb drive. The BIOS was changed to allow the 320gb.

I am now up and running.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users