Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover to previous state of OS...Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 digishank

digishank

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

HI,

I have currently installed windows XP service pack 2. My sister has installed a vista theme pack over the windows xp while i was away.Now it was super slow.so i un-installed the theme pack.

But now it gives various kind of missing dlls annd registry errors.I can't re-install Windows XP cause i am super busy with my exams and also i don't have time to re-install all those softwares. So can any one help? I dnt have system restore point as well.
A baby's face enlightens a whole day.
Let's give them wonderful Baby Names

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to use the System File Checker (SFC) to examine and repair corrupt operating system files.

In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

References

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Microsoft Windows XP - Repair overview

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 digishank

digishank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

hi dc3,

it's been some time i have contributed to the forum.I was super busy with my exams and didn't even had time to turn on the PC. thanks for your useful guide and i did try that.It asked for my windows XP cd, so i think it should have replaced some missing files.

but unfortunately for me, the problem still persists.of course the number of error messages are reduced to some extent.but still some of them pops out from time to time.However today one of my friend gave me a registry cleaner called JV Powertools 2009 and he was very impressed with it. So i am going to check whether there are any registry keys occurs this problem.

i'll let you, as soon as i got a chance to peep in to the forum.really appreciate your help.
A baby's face enlightens a whole day.
Let's give them wonderful Baby Names

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great. For this reason BleepingComputer does not support the use of registry cleaners.

In your case I would suggest a repair installation, this will repair the file and won't effect you data.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 digishank

digishank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

hi dc3,

really thanks for your great help.I was also thinking the same when my friend suggested the Registry Cleaner option.but he thouroughly insists me to give a try to JV Powertools 2009 and which i did. Well to my surprize also it worked for me.I run a basic scan and found 15 errors.So i simply click the fix button and then asked to restart the pc.

Next time i logged on all are working fine.Those error messages are gone and actually windows loads faster too.I don't know what has happened.But i think JV Powertools had done something for me.I was so dissapointed with registry cleaners as you are, but now i don't have the same impression any more. If you want to try it, have a google search and download and try it.It is the best i think cause it really can fix errors like mine.

by the way i really appreciate your help and got to know lot of things which i already didn't.Really appreciate it.

Edited by digishank, 25 March 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

I have JV16 Powertools, I've had a version for 5/6 years now. It is much more than a "registry cleaner", the first cue being the name which the developers have given it. Read up on it and you will see that.

My problem with registry cleaners...is really not with the cleaners themselves. A cleaner is just a tool...like any other tool, it can assist the user or, if not used properly or in accordance with its prescribed function...the results can be less than satisfactory.

My problem is that (IMO) too many users of "registry cleaners" have not a single clue about what is being done or how to recover from it when things go wrong. These users seem to think that the magic answer to a situation they cannot resolve is...try/use a registry cleaner and hope for the best.

A dangerous way to run a system, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users