Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powers up, fans Spin, no image, will not boot.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi everyone. Had an Advent 7111 laptop brought to me for repair that would not turn on. The power light illuminated when the adapter was applied but the power switch did nothing. The customer reported that he knocked it into a wall so I disassembled it to look for damage but could find none.
On completion of putting it back together, it now turns on as usual, except the fans spin at full RPM and there is no disk activity or image etc. I tried the usual ram swap tests on both slots with new ram and this makes no odds so I decided to test the CPU. It has a dual core LF80539 T2050 1.60/2M/533 CPU installed but I do not have another of these to test with. I have however tried various other CPU's including 7238A188 SL6A9 / RH80536 760 / L231B277 SL6CH and some newer type Centrino processors. While I was confident these would also not work I wanted to see if it made any difference to the motherboard by installing them, which it did. When I turn it on with one of these other CPU's installed the 'on' light illuminates briefly before turning off again.
Does this mean that it is defiantly the CPU at fault and I need to replace with another dual core? If so I will have to buy one and at 40 quid will be allot of dosh to waste on something that I could be wrong about. The motherboard model is DA0TW3MB8E5 REV : E
Is anyone aware of another CPU I could test with for this board?
Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

The only thing I can think of is make sure your store has a good return policy. Usually you will only be out shipping and Handling plus a restocking fee. This is why I charge a Bench test fee. If I am wrong on my diagnosis that will cover just about anything, it also helps pay for various motherboards in which to test components on. I know in the States Newegg.com has a great return policy.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

With a tower, one way to double-check if it's the CPU, is to remove it and turn on the machine.It should power up and the fans remain on.
I would assume that it would be the same for a laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Is there a local shop you can take the CPU to & have it tested ?

A few bucks to test a CPU is less then buying a new CPU if you don't need it.
A few bucks for testing is also worth it simply for diagnostic purposes .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users