Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection keeps "dying"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hoki

Hoki

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

So the problem im having is that my internet connection just keeps "dying". i have to renew IP all the time and other crap to get it back working for max of 2minutes. and its starting to piss me off. still computer says the connection is fine but i cant download anything , i cant browse internet or do anything which needs internet connectiong.

i have XP SP3 installed.....

cookies for any1 who can solve this :thumbsup: ! its driving me nuts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

Ok, as a complete novice I will pass on my recent experience and it's solution to see if it is relevent to yours.

I have been on the internet for 6 years and have experienced regular disconnections. Just recently it has become a nightmare to the point of giving up.

Then I discovered this...... my set up was to blame.

When I installed the hareware this is how I did it. The telephone master socket was in the hallway so I fitted the filter then from that I connected a 15 metre ADSL extension cable, upstairs to my modem/router. I then connected the modem/router to the PC with the short yellow cable.

All worked fine but as I said I experienced regular disconnections but I became used to it.

Well as I said my set up was totally wrong. Apparently the signal from the master socket to the modem/router is prone to outside interference which will make it disconnect from the internet. Therefore you should only use the cable supplied with the modem/router and not use any extension cable. The signal from the modem/router to the PC is different and that cable can be as long as you like.

Well, I moved the modem/router downstairs and connected it to the filtered master telephone socket with the supplied cable and purchased a 15 meter cable from Ebay (for a fiver) to connect the modem/router to the PC and 'hey presto' no disconnections and a vastly improved service.

Hope this helps you, sorry if not but I think I will make a post out of this thread incase it can help others. :thumbsup:
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Go to start\run and type services.msc scrolld down to Windows Zero Connectivity and double click it (or right click it and get properties). Write back what settings you have turned on or off in that service? Is the service running? Is it on Automatic or Manual?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

So the problem im having is that my internet connection just keeps "dying". i have to renew IP all the time and other crap to get it back working for max of 2minutes. and its starting to piss me off. still computer says the connection is fine but i cant download anything , i cant browse internet or do anything which needs internet connectiong.

i have XP SP3 installed.....

cookies for any1 who can solve this :thumbsup: ! its driving me nuts

What kind of internet connection are you using? Dialup or highspeed/broadband?

Continue below only if you are using a highspeed/broadband internet connection:
1. Are you using wired or wireless connection?
2. Do the following steps: Goto Start>Control Panel>Classic View>Network Connections
3. In the network connections screen, find the LAN connection you are using to connect to internet through.
3. Right click that connection, and select status.
4. On the Status screen, click the Support tab.
5. Tell me wheather it says Automatic or Manually configured next to Address Type:.

Edited by Desion, 15 February 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users