Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer travelmate built in wireless! Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hi all!

I have an acer travelmate 360 laptop. It has built in wireless networkign, but i am not sur ehow to turn this on.

when i plug in a seperate wireless acrd, everythign works fine, but i cannot get the wireless network connectiosn to come up wihtout an external wireless card.

Is there a fault with the built in wireless? how can I turn it on?

Also, does anyoen know where i can get instructions for this laptop online, as i have lost mine. The ones on the acer website do not work!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

Is this built-in wireless adapter shown in the Network Connections? If so, check if it is simply disabled and if so just right-click and enable it.

If it is not shown (I am thinking right-click on your network neighborhood icon or what-have-you and choosing properties) then you may have to delve into the system properties to see if it shows up at all or maybe is conflicted or requires drivers.

#3 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hi! It does not show up in the network connectins. I think the problem could be that i do not have the correct drivers for windows xp as this laptop was originally for windows 2000 and i have foudn the readme file for the wireless, and it says stuff about windows 2000.

any ideas where i could get the correct drivers for windows xp? i think it is made by orinoco?

Thanks

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:04 PM

I think you may find the correct drivers for Orinoco wireless products at www.proxim.com. Yours should be something similar to 'mini wireless PCI'

You should first check and see if there is an entry for the wireless adapter in your Device Manager (control panel, system, hardware...) under 'network adapters'. If it is there or there is something unrecognizable but with an exclamation mark or question mark you should delete the entry and see if it is correctly recognized after a reboot. After that try and locate the necessary drivers. Good luck, Acer is not very helpful I agree.

#5 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

I cant find the right drivers for the wireless!

I am not sure this is even the problem! does anybody know what it is, because when i press the power button to turn on the wireless, nothing happened.

Thanks

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

the power button to turn on the wireless

Huh? This is an inbuilt network option and it has its own power button? Are we talking a hardware button or software?

Acer Australia has the wireless app and driver downloads for XP at the bottom of this page:
http://support.acer.com.au/supportacer.nsf...OpenDocument&ML

Maybe that will help.

EDIT - Oh and here is the user guide (pdf doc).
http://support.acer.com.au/supportacer.nsf...OpenDocument&ML

Edited by Rimmer, 12 June 2005 - 10:28 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:21 AM

i installed the orinoco client thing but it says there is no wireless card present!

Is it possible that it is in the laptop, but has not been installed?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users