Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Suddenly Slowed to a Crawl

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 916chad

916chad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

My compaq laptop suddenly slowed to a crawl. I usually leave it on over night to download, and 2 nights in a row it shut off unexpectedly while I was asleep. Then 2 days ago I decided to clean it up, (ccleaner, spyobt, ad-aware, full avg system scan with newest definition) and it was extremely slow. Windows was also telling me that the security center wouldnt work and avg was telling me that it had no active components. I went ahead and started it in safe mode and ran avg again and it found nothing. I looked and couldn't find anything weird in services. And then all of a sudden my internet and stuff wouldnt work and was telling me the service wasnt running that I needed. So I restarted windows with all the services running and everything works now, but it is still way to slow. Another random thing, ogg direct show filter keeps opening up, even though I have it unchecked in msconfig and havent opened any videos. The computer is... damnit, I cant even open the system information now. i think its a dual core, 1.73 or something, 3gb ram, running windows vista home premium. Sorry if any of that sounds like i was rambling.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

Can you do a repair installation of Windows from the DVD?

What is this Internet you speak of?

#3 916chad

916chad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

That's what I'm assuming. I'd prefer to do a fresh install actually, but I'm not exactly sure how. I don't have a copy of windows, it was preloaded on here and didn't come with a disk. Its a legit copy and all, so could I just download a copy and use the code I have?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

You should have an option to make recovery disks in your Start Menu. Making them will enable you to restore the system to it's factory state.
Also, with some systems, you'll have an option for system recovery when the system first boots. As I recall it's either F11 for system recovery or F9 to get to an entry that'll allow it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 digishank

digishank

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

have you tried registry cleaner software?
A baby's face enlightens a whole day.
Let's give them wonderful Baby Names

#6 TechnoTrae

TechnoTrae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

have you tried registry cleaner software?

He said he has CCleaner.
That is one of the best registry cleaners Ive ever used, but thats my opinion.
Now when you run these programs, have you given them admin acess or right-clicked an hit "run as administrator" because if not, it wont clean up alot of the junk.

#7 TechnoTrae

TechnoTrae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Do you have the newest updates of all those programs?
And I would recommend using HiJackThis.
It can get thinkgs that Spybot sometimes misses, I use both of those.
Just remember to run as administrator.
And when running HiJackThis, always choose to save a log.
THen you can copy and paste it to a log analyzer online.
Thats how I got rid of alot of viruses, trojans, etc. before I had a router and Norton.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

We don't recommend registry cleaners here - there have been too many problems associated with their use (including my systems).
Here's a link about the myths behind registry cleaners: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/61015...y-cleaners.html
Although the article refers to XP, the basics behind the registry haven't changed in Vista or Win7 and the info there still holds true.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nipa

nipa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

I went ahead and started it in safe mode and ran avg again and it found nothing. I looked and couldn't find anything weird in services. And then all of a sudden my internet and stuff wouldnt work and was telling me the service wasnt running that I needed. So I restarted windows with all the services running and everything works now, but it is still way to slow. Another random thing, ogg direct show filter keeps opening up, even though I have it unchecked in msconfig and havent opened any videos.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

Have you checked the mode for your IDE controllers in Device Manager. Sometimes, for different reasons, it'll set itself to PIO mode. Resetting it to DMA should restore the speed if this is the case.

#11 916chad

916chad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:02 AM

Went ahead and made a restoration disk, did a fresh install and now everything is fine. thanks you everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users