Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No driver for my graphics card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chadwick0211

Chadwick0211

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hello. I have a question and hopefully someone might be able to help me. I bought a computer a couple of years ago. A real Frankenstein. It was used and I had some things upgraded into it. (CD/DVD) and so forth. The little computer shop I bought it from recently took a nose dive because of our economy and forced it's doors closed. Well, everything was going fine with my computer until I recently got a really nasty virus on the computer and I had to reformat C and install a fresh copy of Windows. Well since I formatted, I have to install drivers for different components of the PC itself. And now everytime I start my computer up, it's asking for me to install the driver for my graphics card, which I don't have because it never came with one when I bought it used. I went into the device manager to try and find what kind of card it is, and all it tells me is that it's a VGA 5.01.2600.0000.. Now I'm having huge difficulty trying to find one to download online. All I want is some help finding the correct driver.. Please. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance..
Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

What about under run you type dxdiag. Under the display tab, does it tell you differently? If worse comes to worse, you could always open up your case and read the label on the card if you feel comfortable doing so.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Chadwick0211

Chadwick0211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Sterling for your help!!! I typed dxdiag in the run box and it gave me the same thing. vga.dll 5.01.2600.0000
I could open up the side panel for the CPU, but I have no idea what I would be looking at. I would give it a try if you could walk me through it. More help???

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

ever computer has a video card, otherwise you wouldnt see anything on your screen, whether or not its integrated or not is another matter. If it is an integrated card, you can usually download the drivers for the motherboard from the motherboards manufacturers web site. to do this you need the motherboards brand and model number, which you can find by downloading CPU-Z.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

You could download Unknown devices ,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3908.html

Make sure all files are extracted to the same folder.
If you open the folder & run the utility it will give you more info .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

You could also download System Information for Windows, open it and under hardware find Video and it should have the information you need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Chadwick0211

Chadwick0211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

I ended up downloading that unknown devices download from major geeks and it came up with 2 things under video controller. Micro-Star International and VIA Technologies Inc VIA/S3G UNICHROME PRO IGP. Which one is my card? And by the way, great download!!!

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

The easiest way to find VIA integrated drivers: Find out what your motherboard's chipset is. CPU-Z or similar should tell you that, hopefully. If nothing else, look at the motherboard and get a number and cross reference it. There are different drivers for the different VIA chipsets, KM400,KM800 etc. Once you know what chipset/Northbridge on your motherboard and go to "VIA Arena" and grab your drivers.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...&CatID=1160

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Chadwick0211

Chadwick0211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

The easiest way to find VIA integrated drivers: Find out what your motherboard's chipset is. CPU-Z or similar should tell you that, hopefully. If nothing else, look at the motherboard and get a number and cross reference it. There are different drivers for the different VIA chipsets, KM400,KM800 etc. Once you know what chipset/Northbridge on your motherboard and go to "VIA Arena" and grab your drivers.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...&CatID=1160

Awesome!! I ended having the original box my motherboard came in when the guy installed it and I got all the correct Chipset info off of it. I went to that VIA Arena and low and behold, there was my driver. I already downloaded and installed it and wow, what a difference. The graphics on the computer was really under-performing without that driver.
Sterling14, the_patriot09, fairjoeblue, dc3 and dpunisher.. Thank you guys for your help!! It is so appreciated!! You guys rock!! Just another testiment on why I recommend this forum to everyone of my friends!!! Thanks again!!
Chad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users