Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP says I have Out Of Date Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zixi

zixi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

I am using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 with a perpetual license, so I dont understand why Microsoft XP/Windows Security Alerts shows the red shield, indicating my Virus Protection is Out OF Date. I just formatted my system and reinstalled everything from scratch after having rootkit viruses/trojans.

I am not using any other firewalls or Anti-virus/Anti-Spyware programs. Recommendations????/

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The McAfee VirusScan Console shows:

Access Protection - 6 port blocking rules are defined. Share blocking is off. 31 file or folder blocking rules are defined.
Buffer Overflow Protection - Enabled
On Delivery Email Scanner - Enabled
Unwanted Programs Policy - No unwanted program categories are turned on. No user-defined detections are defined.
On-Access Scanner - Enabled
Auto-Update - The Update Succeeded

About VirusScan Enterprise shows:

Virus Definitions - 4382
Created on 7-28-04
Scan Engine - 4320
Patch Versions - 1

Edited by zixi, 14 February 2009 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

Are you also up to date with Windows Updates?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 zixi

zixi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Are you also up to date with Windows Updates?

YES, updated all windows updates successfully, and the RED SHIELD still shows.
VirusScan On Access Scan (V shield in red on white background with blue border for McAfee) also shows as enabled.

#4 zixi

zixi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

AutoUpdate Completes Successfully, yet still says, "Old Virus Definition DAT Files...The virus definitions database that you are using is 55 months old. There is a chance that VirusScan does not detect some viruses that were found during this time period."

How can it say it updated successfully, yet ALSO say the definitions are 55 months old??? Thats almost 5 years old!!!

Edited by zixi, 16 February 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Have you tried this?
http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/secur...updates/dat.asp
A couple of posts on McAfee's forums suggest uninstalling and redownloading the program
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 zixi

zixi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:49 AM

Yes, I tried installing the DAT update file, but that didnt work either.

#7 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Mouse over your clock in System Tray and see if date/time are correct. If not, that may be your problem. You may just need to adjust the time/date. You have to be logged onto Windows with an account with admin privileges to right click the clock to adjust your date/time. If that is your problem, and the time/date keeps getting off, your pc's internal battery may need replacing. My pc's 5 years old and still on its original battery (knock on wood).

Edited by buttoni, 19 February 2009 - 06:05 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#8 zixi

zixi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

A friend said the perpetual license is a myth or perpetual until they decide to stop supporting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users