Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win os hd with existing hd linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 victor7

victor7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Dell Dim8200 with 40 GB HD -Linux OS. Want to remove zip drive, use that cable to install 60GB HD with Winxp os already installed (from dead mobo on another computer). How to do? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

If the Windows XP hard drive uses the same cable type (PATA or SATA) as the old ZIP drive, you can swap it out. All you have to do is disconnect the cables and slide the new one in. However, the operating system will need to be reinstalled.

3939.png

#3 victor7

victor7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

I've only done clean installs. Can you walk me through it? I do have a program called "Acronis True Image Home 2009" that I was told could be used, but... Also, with one hd with Linux already operating, I want to keep the two hd's separate, and be able to move back and forth while operating.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

You could image the entire drive, but you should only do that if you're moving the HD from one motherboard to another of the exact model. Otherwise, the differences between the two boards could render XP unusable.

3939.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:02 AM

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users