Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out Audio Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dbanker77

dbanker77

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Computer stopped responding a few weeks ago...could only boot into safe mode. Decided to reload XP Home and all drivers, loaded SP3. Everything seemed fine except XP could not find my audio device, no drivers loaded. So, I manually loaded drivers off the original Dell Drivers disk and the machine locked up after I selected an AC97.sys file during the installation process. The only thing I can do is power down and reboot. Ran the Dell Diagnostic and it said the audio was OK. I've tried the drivers downloaded from Dell to no avail. I've searched the internet for the most recent drivers, same result.

Could this be some sort of infection? Here is my system information, followed by the Audio information.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

Doug

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DOUG
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Inspiron 8500
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2192 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A03, 5/23/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name DOUG\Doug
Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Name Multimedia Audio Controller
Manufacturer SigmaTel
Status Error
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_013E1028&REV_03\3&18D45AA6&0&FD
I/O Port 0x0000B800-0x0000B8FF
I/O Port 0x0000BC40-0x0000BC7F
Memory Address 0xF4FFF800-0xF4FFF9FF
Memory Address 0xF4FFF400-0xF4FFF4FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 11
Doug in Colorado

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Run this to find out:

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, Mark...I ran the scan and the results said, "no items were infected". I then ran the full scan with the same results.

So, apparantly no malware...any ideas on what I might do next? Why XP might stop responding during driver installation?

Thanks for all the help...at least I know it's not Malware...for now.

Doug
Doug in Colorado

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

What's the service tag number for the computer?
It's on the bottom if it's a laptop, and on the back if it's a tower
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Service Tag number is 1YYBC31.

By the way, l like your note about grandkids...we have our second one on the way...they sure have a way of changing your perspective on life!!

Doug
Doug in Colorado

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Is this the driver that you tried? I'm assuming you have XP:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=118248

Down the page a little you will notice a "+installation instructions"
Click on the + and follow their recommendation to install it
Mark
Posted Image

#7 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

OK, I've downloaded this before but did not follow the installation instructions given...didn't scroll down the page. Anyway, I printed the instructions and followed. At the end it said "driver installed". However, when I went to Device Manager, it still said the drivers were not installed. So I tried to update the driver from there thinking it still needed to be installed. During the installation Wizard, the OS locked up at installing ksolay.ax. I powered down and restarted, system hung during boot, the little blue progress bar froze. So, I rebooted to last know good configuration.

One more thing. When I reinstalled XP Home, I did NOT notice that there was a document that stated drivers needed to be installed in a certain order. I know I DID NOT do that. Is there a way to uninstall all drivers and reinstall in the proper order without having to reinstall XP?

Thanks a lot!

Doug
Doug in Colorado

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

ksolay.ax. Is a Windows file, related to sound
You can try this download from Dell, it won't hurt anything and maybe it will get the sound to work
In your Device Manager, are there any yellow exclamation points by anything?

Dell Driver Reset Tool

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=120687
Mark
Posted Image

#9 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

OK, I'll give this a try...there is a yellow exclamation point next to the Multimedia Audio Controller that says "The Driver for this device is not installed" Code 28.

This is why I've been trying for the past three weeks to reinstall the driver.

I'll let you know how this one turns out.

Thanks!! Doug
Doug in Colorado

#10 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

OK, I downloaded this and installed it. When I tried to run it, it just went through a "modify, repair, or remove" screen. I tried both modify and repair and it just went through installation again. I could not get this tool to do anything. Am I missing something?

Thanks...Doug
Doug in Colorado

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

When you go to the Multimedia Audio Controller and double-click on it and select the Driver tab, is the button that says Uninstall grayed out?
If it isn't , go ahead and uninstall it and reboot. Then try installing the driver
Mark
Posted Image

#12 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

OK, I uninstalled and rebooted. Plug n Play recognized new hardware and tried to install...Windows hung after that. Tried to reboot but OS hung at login window. Powered down and rebooted again, it got a little further then stopped responding. Tried again (probably a mistake) and it hung on the startup pane with the blue progress bar. booted to safe mode and tried to boot to last good configuration...same results. This is about the point where I reinstalled XP Home last time. I can boot to safe mode with networking and can do some work from there, but it is not ideal and I don't think that is how I should have to run...

Any ideas? Thanks for all your time with this!!

Doug
Doug in Colorado

#13 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

OK, Mark, I found a good restore point and managed to get my system restored. However, it still locks up every time I try to install the audio drivers. I notice that all the USB drivers use IRQ 11 as does the Audio Device. The Audio is the last thing listed out of 9 different devices using IRQ 11. In the old days, we could manually assign IRQs to spread resources among different devices, but I don't see a way to do this with this OS or BIOS. The system info does not show anything on IRQ 10. IRQ 11 includes the video, network, 4 USB universal host controllers, Audio, PCI controller, and IEEE 1394 controller. There appear to be several unused IRQs (if not defaulted to other devices).

Just a comment...

Thanks again...I just can't hear anything which prevents me from using my Skype account and talking to friends overseas...damned inconvenient...

Doug
Doug in Colorado

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

You got me on this one. I don't use Skype, so I wouldn't even know where to start looking
Mark
Posted Image

#15 dbanker77

dbanker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Thanks...Skype is a free VOIP service but you need sound to talk. I talk (or at least I used to) to friends in Japan and it doesn't cost anything. Works really great! But my damn sound drivers won't load. I'm really at a loss...It's been like this for months. All my diagnostics say everything is fine except when I try to load the drivers, Windows XP Home locks up. I'm about to either re-load Windows and re-load all drivers in the recommended order or just reformat the whole damn thing and start from scratch!

Thanks again for all your help!

Doug
Doug in Colorado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users