Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win upgrade from 98 to xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FNWO

FNWO

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

Recently i have got an old computer for free.So i have decided to put it in my garage and use it as a hmmmm... let say working computer :thumbsup:
But...
There is one problem...I suppose because of OS sys age (Win 98),drivers age and so on computer can't read my flash devices(USB sticks 2.0 standard).
So what i want to do now is to upgrade my Win 98 to XP or at least 2000 and to try to solve this problem....
For start to see will I be able to do something like this i have chk. comp rsources,but unfortunately to sloppy :trumpet:
What i have tried is to inslall Xp service pack 3 32-bit, and this old intel graphic card which i have "TNT2" is only 16-bit.
To be worse i have even formated disc (wipe all from it) and unsuccessful tried to install XP on it,of course. :flowers:
Now i can't use this comp at all,because windows are not installed.Process gets frozen and monitor picture black.
Can someone pls. tell me is it still possible to find Win 98 or can i solve this problem by installing Win 2000.
Thanks very much
Regards FNWO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

What are the specs of this computer? How much RAM do you have, HD space, etc? Looks like it's too old to be able to handle XP which is why your computer is unusable currently.

Since your computer can't even boot up Windows due to inadequate resources you will probably have to do another clean install of a OS which works on your computer. Whether it can handle Win ME/2000 (which I believe supports USB drives) will depend on your computer specifications. Never install a new OS without first checking to see if your computer meets at least the minimum requirements.

If it does not meet the requirements, you can either consider upgrading your computer (may not be worth it though), or go back to Windows 98. It is still possible to find Windows 98 , most likely online.

#3 FNWO

FNWO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:17 AM

First of all thnks for fast reply. :thumbsup:

According to computer specs. i think it is possible to upgrade to Win XP.
Here they are in following order:

Motherboard: Acer Labs. Inc
ALi 1631 ver 1.0
Chipset model: ALi M1621 Aladdin Pro II AGP

-Intel Pentium III Celeron 633 MHz

BIOS Model: AMIBIOS 062710

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Aladdin TNT2-16 bit (maybe this is the problem,my Win XP are 32-bit?)

RAM:176 MB

Hard disk: ATA Maxtor 6E040L0

During clean install of Win XP i have above mentioned problem.Let say that maybe 1/3 of clean installation remains to be done and then monitor goes black and
installation is stoped.I have heard that Win 98 Power Menagment may come in conflict with installation process,not sure about it?,but i have disabled it for monitor,because someone said that this my be the reason why computer picture is suddenly going black during OS instalation.It is still the same.
Any advice? :flowers:

Would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Regards FNWO

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

XP will run on that, but it will be rather slow. More ram should be installed. Remove the video card and use the on-board video during the install of xp, if it does have on-board video, Also remove any other expansion cards like the network card or modem if present.

Win 98 power management won't be an issue if you are booting from an xp cd.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 February 2009 - 10:24 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 FNWO

FNWO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Ok thanks.
I will try it and inform you how did it go.
Thanks
Regards Draz

#6 FNWO

FNWO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Have tried to do what you said.
Removed network card and floppy disc unit.
Situation still the same :flowers:

Here it is for You....the process of Win XP Pro Service Pack 3 installation in exact order,if it can help:

Computer started Win installation from place where he stop last time,because it was unsuccessful install he is doing repair....in following order

1.Colecting Information - O.K.

2.Dynamic Update - O.K.

3.Preparing installation - O.K.

4.Installing Windows - O.K.
-Installing devices - O.K.
-Installing network - O.K.
-Completing installation - O.K.
-Installing Start menu items - O.K.
-Registring components - O.K.

5.Finalizing Installation
-Saving settings........during this process,at its very end,installation stops & screen goes blue with white stripes (sorry because of wrong
information,before i have said that screen becomes black :thumbsup: )

I think,if i am not wrong,that somewhere at this point during installation this massage pops out:"If You can see this masage than press O.K.".It has smething with automatic screen resolution adjustment.In this case it would be monitor conflict or....here i go again all dazed & confused :trumpet:
...or maybe it has something with hard disc,which capacity is 40GB.Before XP installation it was working good.

Any advice?

Regards FNWO

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

You didn't need to disconnect the floppy drive, that will work fine.

When the screen goes blue shut the pc down. What happens when you reboot? If it won't boot normally can you get into safe mode?

It does seem like the video card is an issue. Can you try another one if there is no onboard video? Is there no onboard video? What type of monitor are you using?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 FNWO

FNWO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

Ok roger that,but anyway it still does not work.
For safe mode how You do it,F8?
Remember i do not have OS successfully installed.Graphic card is as You said on board or integrated inside motherboard.It is the only one inside computer.
Have also tried to use newer display.Problem still persist.Old model of monitor is some DTK dinosaur age model,and newer LCD model i am normally useing for mine main computer which is running on Windows Vista.Before i was useing it on Win XP SP 3,the one i am trying to install on this computer.
My friend have said to me that maybe Installation CD scratch could be the reason of unsuccessful installation.Have tried also this but problem still persist.
So i guess after all it could be as You have said an graphic card problem.
Since i did not create safe copy of sistem with old Win 98 and new XP doesn't like to be installed i guess that this comp will finaly at the end be for trash.
Anyone need spare parts? :thumbsup:
Thanks man for help.Really apperciate it....
Pls. can You explain more that safe mode part,if You have wish.
Thanks one more time :flowers:
Regards Drazz

#9 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

For safe mode how You do it,F8?

Yup...press F8 when the boot-up screen shows up. You should be able to select b/t all the startup options (but since your install is corrupt not sure if it will).

My friend have said to me that maybe Installation CD scratch could be the reason of unsuccessful installation.Have tried also this but problem still persist.

Hm, didn't think of that. How did you "test" that problem? Did you try another Install CD? Just because there are no visible scratches on a disc doesn't necessarily mean it is damage-free.
You could also try running a disk scan on another computer on that disc to see if any read errors occur.

So i guess after all it could be as You have said an graphic card problem.

You could consider getting hold of a used (but working) graphics card to install on your system to see if it works.

Since i did not create safe copy of sistem with old Win 98 and new XP doesn't like to be installed i guess that this comp will finaly at the end be for trash.

Wow, that's a waste :flowers: .If I were you I wouldn't throw it away. It'd be a great system to run linux (which is free) , or at least donate the computer to charity. Seeing how the computer was seemingly running fine before you tried upgrading I'd say there's still a lot of life left in it. Maybe even buy a old copy of Windows somewhere.

Anyone need spare parts? :thumbsup:

Me Me! (raises hand) lol.

#10 FNWO

FNWO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hi funnytim!
You are absolutely right about computer.I can convince You it won't go to scrap.You are right...many people would be happy to have it,so i am planning somehow to try to make it run again and use it by personally or to give it to someone.Bottom line it could come handy if myself or someone will need some spare parts for free.You realy need them? :thumbsup:
About safe mode i will try it and inform You what have happened,but i also think that it won't work because of corrupt OS install.
Install CD has no visible scratches,but still i have tested it with my friend's install CD.It suppose to be OK and it is all the same.
I do not have some spare graphic card so i guess putting some extra one in this PC is not an option for now.
Linux You said...Hm didn't use it till now.You maybe know will there be a problem with drivers or no?
Thanks for Help!
Regards FNWO

#11 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

About safe mode i will try it and inform You what have happened,but i also think that it won't work because of corrupt OS install.

Ya, I wouldn't expect it to work anyway.

Install CD has no visible scratches,but still i have tested it with my friend's install CD.It suppose to be OK and it is all the same.

OK, well if another install CD doesn't work then we can rule out the CD's fault.

Linux You said...Hm didn't use it till now.You maybe know will there be a problem with drivers or no?

From what i've heard Linux is a pretty compatible, but you can check out this link to be sure: http://www.linux.com/feature/118497

Personally I would think you have nothing to lose, since Windows isn't working on your computer anyway.

You have nothing (except corrupt OS) on the HD right now right? No important data you need to keep, etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users