Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation - virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coveside

Coveside

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hello,
After about 24 hours of frustration, I give up! My computer (Dell laptop Inspiron 640m running XP home edition 5.1, SP 3) has contracted a virus that apparently slipped through TrendMicro. I get weird websites popping up, freeze ups, slow performance, etc. etc. TrendMicro scan says it removed PAK_generic.001, but after I run the computer and it freezes up, it seems to come back, along with other viruses presumably removed (torjan.vundo). I can't do a system restore - the computer just blinks at me. I can't load Kaspersky, or Malwarebytes' Anti Malware. Get the same message: "the system administrator....etc."
I can run the computer on safe mode with internet access -- so far at least. Help!

Tom

Edited by The weatherman, 14 February 2009 - 03:11 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum~TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

Ok let's do this please.
==============
Please click
http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
to download AVP Tool by Kaspersky.

Save it to your desktop.

Double click the setup file to run it.
Click Next to continue.
It will by default install it to your desktop folder.Click Next.

It will then open a box There will be a tab that says Automatic scan.

Under Automatic scan make sure these are checked.

System Memory
Startup Objects
Disk Boot Sectors.
My Computer.
Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)

Note: This tool will self uninstall when you close it so please save the log before closing it.

this will take a while but is one of the best standalone scanners
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Coveside

Coveside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hello; thanks for the help.
I downloaded Kaspersky to desktop, started it. It said welcome, asked for a download location, extracting files, and then I got a message that said "Kaspersky Anti-virus has experienced a problem and needs to close. Sorry...." When I clicked on the details button, it said the following
Error signature Apnamis - 4k3jh.exe AppVer 7.0.0.290 Mod Name rtdll.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.5512 offset 000369aa.

I tried two more times to load the program. Got the same message.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

Let's see if we can get a log with these hints.
Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..
Chewy

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

I would also like you to try this

Download to your desktop "FixPolicies.exe", a self-extracting ZIP archive from HERE.

http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/BillCa...FixPolicies.exe

Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd
A black box will briefly appear and then close.
Reboot the computer so the changes can take affect.
Chewy

#6 Coveside

Coveside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello Chewy,
Thanks for all your help. I finally got Kaspersky to load (after disabling other antivirus software and running in safe mode). It ran for 3.5 hours, found several files that were infected that all the other antivirus packages apparently missed. And now, things seem to be fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still not sure whether I'm blocked to load particular programs, but will cross that bridge when I come to it. I'll post again if this doesn't work, but as of now, I'm pretty optimistic. Thanks again,

Tom/Coveside

#7 dave1952

dave1952

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Dachew The site noted on Feb 15 is good for "newer pcs" but I wonder what you might suggest for a win 98 se? with only 256mb ram? I ran into a problem with the pc where I ended up uninstalling office 2000, using the "clean-up utilities" for disk 1 & 2 (although still were flies not removed!) (I even created 2 folders "instal1 & 2" where I copied office disk1 to folder1 and 2 to 2) Than when I tried to reinstall office using setup.exe I got "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" Note I seem to recall that this did have a network card ( I got this pc used but have been using it a number of years) (till a dll file got infected or corruped and email and office became unuasble) Add to that I was told by an ATT tech that the pc would not work any longer with the DSL!
My goal than is to have this 98se as a "stand alone" with office 2000 and access older emails and addresses (I hope) The first thing is to get Office rerunning! So either a clean-up, registry-fix, safe-mode option would be considered! I've got an old brain but still open to suggestions and Ideas! Dave

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

You can't really fix an old 98 machine, 98 wasn't near as stable as xp, it was fast and 256 megs of ram was plenty but
I had to reload 98 every few years if not sooner.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users