Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq graphics card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nowayjsk

nowayjsk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi, My daughter has a compaq presario sr2301wm. Recently she has had multiple crashes. I had her clean it out intermally with no results. I was able to keep it running long enough to backup files she could not replace. Now when I turn it on, the monitor display reads no signal, going to sleep. I checked the cord and monitor on another computer and they are working.
I was told by a friend that her graphics card probably burned up when the fan was clogged. If I put in a new graphics card will it bypass the original? I'm really not even sure that this computer is worth saving. If I replace the card, what are the chances that something else made it crash in the first place. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would not jump to conclusions about...cause and effect.

If the system booted routinely before any human hand was inside, it seems to me there's high probability that either something was knocked loose internally...or perhaps the video card or RAM need to be removed and then reinserted into respective places on the motherboard.

I tend to try the obvious first, when seeking a solution for some of computerdom's unexplained mysteries.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:13 AM

The model for that Compaq gets zero results when I google it, would you please look on the front of the computer and post the model which shows there.

Did you look inside the case to see if she cleaned the heat sink and fan on the CPU? If it is full of dust this can cause a overheating problem which can cause this type of problem. I would also check all of the plug connections inside and out of the case, make sure that all cards are properly seated.

Is the graphics card a dedicated card?

Did you see the fan on the card full of dust?

There is a chance that there is onboard graphics on the motherboard, if this is the case you can try removing the dedicated card and see if the onboard graphics will work. Unfortunately we can't determine this without knowing what the model of this computer is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nowayjsk

nowayjsk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I'm sorry. I transposed the numbers in the model #. It is sr2013wm. Also I removed the memory cards from the slots and reseated them. I am unable to find a removable video card. The fan on the motherboard is clean and all connections are solid.

Edited by nowayjsk, 15 February 2009 - 09:48 AM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

99.9% of those came with onboard video. Chances are you have a motherboard problem. Specs show it has a PCI Express x16 slot slot, so you should be able to try a separate video card to troubleshoot. Try holding down the "INSERT" key during boot and see if anything changes.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users