Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to overclock at all? Is this possible?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kawshous

Kawshous

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have a system with the specs posted below. I am curious if the mother board allows for overclocking at all. Not that it needs it, but I am curious. I have checked out the BIOS and cannot seem to find any way of attempting this feat.

System Model
HP Pavilion 061 PX191AV-ABA d4100e 0qm1114CT101AMBER00
System Serial Number: MXG54400JL NA580
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board b
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Amberine 1.03
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10 10/14/2005
Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Processor a
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

Boxmaker (HP, Gateway, eMachines, etc.) systems may generally be presumed to be devoid of overclocking capabilities, IMO.

Which is why that class of users known as "enthusiasts" often prefer to buy a specific motherboard (with a BIOS) that provides overclocking and other features/possibilities/capabilities...that are not included on boxmaker systems by design.

Think of it this...if you are a person working in HP Support...would you advise for or against allowing users to be able to overclock systems for which you have a legal liability for warranty?

Considering that overclocking a system can potentially make mincemeat of it (which is why Intel & AMD void their warranty obligations when the system had been known to be overclocked)...what makes sense?

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/388605...l-warranty.html

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

Even if amd and intel discourage the average user from overclocking their cpu's , they court the enthusiast's market with their design

The overclockers are the expert users and it's their reviews and purchases which drive the market for the DIYer

Look at any of the reviews at Newegg

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer Chewy (beast)
Generator Chewy
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
Date 2009-02-14
Time 13:53

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CPU Alias Venice S939
CPU Stepping DH-E3
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+
CPUID Revision 00020FF0h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2249.88 MHz
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 249.99 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 25%)
Memory Bus 249.99 MHz

Temperatures:
Motherboard 24 C (75 F)
CPU 32 C (90 F)

3+ years and stable as a rock
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Understood :thumbsup:.

Some users seem to not understand the risks they, as novices, can take with their overclocking efforts. But there is only one way to move from "novice" to "experienced" in anything and that includes research and trial-and-error learning.

That T-A-E is pretty hard when it results in a dead system, a new motherboard, or a new processor.

Louis

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

1. forgot to mount heatsink on cpu

2. stuck old 486 in wrong

3. ran my memory at half speed for 2 months

4. and many other painful learning experiences
Chewy

#6 Kawshous

Kawshous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Well yes I am a not too familliar with overclocking, but was curious if it was at all possible to do so with this computer. I noticed in the specs that your computer runs much cooler than mine, 57 C/134F with the cpu fan spinning 2225 rpm and system running 1692 rpm. Is this at all normal for that type of system. Of course I am awaiting the reply "Depends on what fan you are running, and how much power it is getting" But are these safe temperatures?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

I chose my case for good cooling, it's placement, the exhaust fan and room temperature give me adequate cool air

I have a premium HSF mounted with OC'ers paste

57C is too high, your room temp is too high, not enough cool air is reaching the case and or the computer needs cleaning
Chewy

#8 Kawshous

Kawshous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Alrighty then. Thanks for the thoughts, but I dont want to chill my house just for the computer. It is in a fixed location. I think the only other thing I could do is keep the side cover off of it for more circulation, but we have a cat here, and I think that would cause problems. The inside is already realitively clean. I have taken the fan off before and found a white gooey substance on the heat sink and the chip...wonder if I should find out what that stuff was and apply more.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

If the white goo was thick it was from a thermal pad and not meant to be reused, you would see an indentation where the cpu had basically melted into the pad

If it was a paste, easily smeared around

Either way it needs to be reseated with thermal compound

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Chewy

#10 Kawshous

Kawshous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Very good. And where might I pick up some of that Arctic Silver? Sounds like the goop I need

#11 Kawshous

Kawshous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Also could this be the reason that the cpu is running a little warm? At that 57C

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Here in the states you can get some cheap stuff at radioshack
Chewy

#13 Kawshous

Kawshous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

I will check that out. Thanks for all your time and help. I will probably post a new post on how to rid myself of four virtual drives that seem impossibe to get rid of. Do you know much about that Chewy?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

I go back to the sheep and clonecd, it's been said many times Chewy detests DaemonTools, such programs operate like rootkits to fool windows

That's quite dangerous
Chewy

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

[quote name='DaChew' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:57 AM' post='1135902']
Even if amd and intel discourage the average user from overclocking their cpu's , they court the enthusiast's market with their design

The overclockers are the expert users and it's their reviews and purchases which drive the market for the DIYer

they have a doube standard though. yes they design them to be overclocked, for the enthusiast, but they void the warranty-mainly because there are a lot of people out there who really have no clue what their doing or any business doing it, who buy substandard parts or just do it wrong and fry equipment. even if done properly, it can sometimes fry equipment, and design to or not it does shorten the life span of the equipment. If they garenteed it with overclocking theyd lost a lot of money to people who fried their equipment. Its their way of protecting themselves from huge loss.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users