Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista - addition Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi all,
I don't use Vista myself but have an elderly friend that does. He has been know to frequent some, lets say, 'not very security concious' sites in the past and I'm wondering if he should really have a firewall on his system as well as the Vista one.

I know when Vista first came out, there were very few, if any, firewalls compatible with it but I see that now, for example, AVG 8.0 states theirs is fully Vista compatible.

What's the general consensus? Is a firewall for Vista necessary / advisable / just a matter of personal choice?

Thanks in advance
cd

O/S: Win10Pro

Backup: SpiderOakONE
Security: SAS Pro, MB Premium, VoodooShield Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

I'm going to move this over to the Security products forum for a more detailed answer....

FWIW - there's lot's of firewalls available now. But the problem isn't (usually) with the firewall - rather it's with what the users click on. If they give something permission to bypass the firewall - then it's gonna get onto the system regardless. At work this is the most common way that people get infected.

Edited by usasma, 14 February 2009 - 12:28 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cyberdyne

cyberdyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

No problem, I understand.

Thanks for your answer, I do appreciate what you're saying, but another level of defence can't be a bad thing, especially since he has resources there for it. His NOD32 A/V seems to be doing its' job, as does his Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, but if there's is something out there suitable, I'd be grateful for any info.

Any more pointers on what to go for would be great.

Thank you.

Edited by cyberdyne, 14 February 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

I recently had a friend ask me the same question who is also running Vista. He is a young very sharp fellow with a Masters degree but is surprisingly lacking on computer knowledgeable. He needed my help just to install a free antivirus program. I advised him to stay with the Vista firewall since he needs to keep it simple as possible. Vista has a two way firewall (XP is one way only) and is a good choice for him since it requires the least amount of user interface. Installing Comodo or ZoneAlarm on his machine would drive him crazy.

#5 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

Spybot S&D is not as highly regarded as it used to be. Most have switched to SuperAntiSpyware and/or Malwarebytes. These two are outstanding programs. You can only have one of these programs active at a time. I have both on my machine as they each can find things that the other will not. I use the free versions and run them on demand about once a week each. Just be sure to manually update them before running scans on demand. I have never had a problem with either of these two and they are very simple for the user. I haven't run Spybot in a long time but I do remember having numerous problems with this program.

#6 cyberdyne

cyberdyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

Thank you for your responses Justa, I appreciate your input.

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

You are welcome cyberdyne. My friend has been very happy with his system as I have keep it simple for him. Smart as he is he has no desire to learn about computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users