Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paint, "not enought memory, please try again"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erutanie__

erutanie__

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Okay, I'm desperate.
A few weeks ago, Paint just decided to not work. Every time I try to open it, this pop-up will come up saying that there "isn't enough memory or resources to complete the operation. Close some and try again." I've tried that. So, I dug out the Windows98 CD, uninstalled Accesories, rebooted, installed Accesories, rebooted. Didn't work. So I repeated the same action, only singling out Paint this time. That didn't work either. So, what should I do?
Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

You are getting the message for several possible reasons. Your hard drive is almost full, or you have too many applications open at once, or you have too many things running in the background from start up.
1. Check the available space on your hard drive. If it appears there is only a small amount left, then delete unneed files or applications, save some files to disk. If you have disk cleanup in your accessories, use it.
2. Close all applications but Paint, including your browser, etc.
3. Review the programs you have launching on start up, and suppress the ones you do not need (BC has a database of startup programs that will help you determine which to stop).
4. If you have not done so recently, run scandisk and defrag in safe mode.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

What are your system specs and what are you trying to open in paint? how big is the file you are trying to open? Paint is a really primitive program and will not handle large images very well.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users