Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice about computer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laurab_111

laurab_111

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hello, I don't know a whole lot about computers but my brother is a computer technician and he recently added more memory to my computer. Before he added the memory I had sound but it was barely audible. Now I have no sound whatsoever and my brother has been out of town and will be for a few more months. I have tried going into the Add/Remove Hardware but I really don't know what I am doing. Could someone please help me? I hate not having sound, it is so horrible.
Thank You,
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

You could give this a shot.

Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia > Sounds Tab >

Make sure that the Show volume control on the taskbar box is ticked (checked)
Posted Image

#3 laurab_111

laurab_111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

You could give this a shot.

Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia > Sounds Tab >

Make sure that the Show volume control on the taskbar box is ticked (checked)

Hey
Scarlett, Thanks for the advice but that didnt work either. I dont know what the problem is, maybe I just need to go buy a new sound card or something. I dont know. Thank you for taking the time out to try to help me.
Laura :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

Assuming this is a desktop system what kind of speakers do you have and are they still connected to the correct socket on the sound card?
Is your sound 'card' a plug in card or is it onboard? (If onboard the speaker/mic/line out jacks will be on a line with the other ports on the back of the machine probably near the parallel printer port)
Look in Device Manager by right clicking the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop and click 'Properties' (I'm assuming Win98SE here) click the 'Device Manager' tab, look under 'Sound, video and game controllers' by clicking on the '+' beside it and see if anything has a warning symbol beside it (red X or yellow !). Tell us what is listed there regardless. If there is a warning symbol double click the name to see the error message.
If you have sound devices listed and no errors reported exit (cancel) from System Properties and go to the Control Panel and double-click Multimedia. On the Audio tab what is listed as your Playback [Preferred Device] and Recording [Preferred Device]?

What sounds are you unable to hear? CD audio or system sounds or saved music or something else?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users