Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

This is a new issue regarding the same computer that was covered in this..............http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172698&hl=

I got the power supply yesterday and installed it as soon as I got back from picking it up at the post office. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!

Anyway, that's what it was! I tested it, putting the jumper on to see if the fan worked, before I installed it.

It's a "new" computer that someone gave me after it sat in their garage for a year and a half. It's running Windows ME and isn't too shabby for a back up.

However, after tinkering with it for awhile, cleaning up all the crappy crap that was on it and updating through Windows Update, I seem to have lost the ability to access the internet. Neither Firefox or Internet Explorer can access the internet. I will post this under a "new issue" within Windows 95/ 98/ ME.

Thanks to all who helped with the previous problem and hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction for this one.

Edited by elomont, 13 February 2009 - 10:23 PM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Just a side note and then to cover a few things I've tried already:

I did use this Ethernet port with success after I installed the new power supply and did a crap load of updating. However, then when I started it up again to tinker a bit more, the port no longer worked. So to clarify, it did work, but now it does not.

I've tried to update the driver through Device Manager. It reads that it is working properly with no conflicts.

I've tried to install a PCI Ethernet Adapter LNE100TX (that I swap between all these computers that I try to update), to bypass the original....to no avail.

I've gone into BIOS to make sure that is "enabled".

That about covers it for now, I think.

By the way, it is a Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

I just find it odd that I can't get either Ethernet port to work, the original or the add-in PCI, which leads me to believe I'm overlooking something in my sparse knowledge of computers.

As always, thank you in advance for your help,

Elomont

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

Not a techie, but I have had a similar problem with my Family Ethernet from Realtek.

Firefox seems to have some problem with RealTek devices. Can't install some of them on that browser.

I have re-installed the Ethernet a couple times by accessing the program recently. I did find that one other device had been installed--I think from AOL, which I have tried to get rid of, but keeps re-appearing. Has something to do with MS/MSN and the MS Live programs, I think.

There are some articles here on searching for hidden devices in the event they were installed by malware/viruses. I was unable to follow those directions a few days ago, but my computer seems to be working somewhat better now. The crew here gives excellent advice, and is very patient.

#4 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

fuzzywuzzy6,

As you can see from my second post, I don't think it's a browser problem because now it won't connect me using IE or FF.

I don't really understand your point about AOL or MSN (no offense of course). I do not have either installed if that helps? I also do not understand the last part of your post. If you get a chance and you can link them in your next post I'd like to take a look at those "articles here on searching for hidden devices in the event they were installed by malware/viruses".

Thanks for your input.

Edited by elomont, 15 February 2009 - 09:50 PM.


#5 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Well after about a week of frustration I fixed the problem.

I'll add to this thread what I did to solve my specific problem with Windows ME in case anyone is searching for the same fix. Well, I'll add the link to the process that I did is more truthful.

Basically I had lost all capabilities to access the internet using the original Ethernet adapter that was installed in my mother board when it was brand new and I also couldn't install or use a new PCI Ethernet card that I was trying to install to bypass the first. They were all showing up under Device Manager along with their respectable TCP/IP and all showed up as working properly.

So here's the link. http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm That procedure relates to Windows 95/ 98/ ME with a dial up application but it worked for me using a Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Hopefully someone will get some use out of this down the road somewhere.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users