Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drve Partitions & SP regocnition problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

I am using Win2k Pro

First Problem:
I partitioned by C drive for 2gb, and 1.99 (or so) are tooken up by my pagefile. When I try to install ATI Hydravision, it tries to use the C drive for its temporary files.
I checked to make sure that none of the temp folders in my Enviorment Vairables are set to the larger partions.
I even set so that nothing would install into D:/Documents and Settings/(my profile)/Local Settins/TEMp, but instead to my G: Drive

(I have 5 partions bty, in order: Pagefile/OS/Games/Apps/Stuf).

So my question is, is this something that I can change in the reigsitry or is it because of the installer?
If it is in the installer, I guess I could temporarily size my pagfiile down to make room for ATI hydravision.

Problem 2
I have a 160GB Seagate Barracuda HDD, and im running win2k so its limited to 132GB.
I installed the Diskwizard 2003 Software that came with my Seagate, and I checked for updates to it, and there are none.
One of the options was to partition free space, so i thought that this might take the 28gb, that I cant use, and turn it into a new partition. While in the middle of this, i seconed guessed, and hit cancel (bad move on my part). So now I have a J Drive, after my 2 CD Drives, I tried to Format it, but after letting it sit for 30min or so it made no progress, so I canceled that.
In the benchmarking program Everest, it says that my J drive is...i forget, but I remember it being a lot bigger than 28gb. Almost seems like it did take up all the free space from the other partitions.

My question for this would be, is there anyway to delete a partition wihtout having to restore your computer?

----EDIT----
Almost forgot
Problem 3:
When I try to install Automatic Updates for Windows 2k Pro (I think the acronym for the real name of it was "SUS")I get an error message saying I need Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher. The thing is, I am at SP 4.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by The Trip, 01 June 2005 - 10:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:21 PM

In versions of Windows I've installed (Win98SE, WinXP, Win2K, Win95, Win3...) you can designate where the page/swap file goes. In Win9x and 2K/XP, use the System applet in Control Panel and root around in Performance or Memory in the Advanced buttons.

You may want to PartitionMagic the drive. Up the boot partition to at least one stripe (8GB).

The '160GB' Seagate is actually 149GB binary size, the difference is from a marketting gimmick of selling the drives by decimal (1000 per K) rather than binary (1024 per K) sizing. Your OS may be limitting the size to 128GB binary. If so, you should have a 16GB OS partition, a 2 to 8 GB swap partition (put it at the end), and you can split the remainder however you want for data partitions. You could also use the software provided by the drive manufacturer to install a patch (like Dynamic Drive Overlay) that will allow you to see the whole drive. But as it is, you're not losing much, about 21GB... You could install Linux on that. Try a Feather or knoppix LiveCD Linux, and if it sees the whole drive you can add Debian Linux to your system painlessly...

As far as Windows AutoUpdate, you may have to either do a manual update first or do a Repair Install from the OS CD.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#3 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

That explains it (when I was partitioning I was multiplying 1024 by how many GB I wanted), why my partitions arent exact.

As of now I have it set up like so:
A:/ Floppy Drive (as usual)
C:/ 1.99GB Partition
D:/ 5GB OS Partion
E:/ 49.9 GB Games Partition
F:/ 29.9 GB Applications Partition
G:/ 40.9 GB Stuff Partion

H:/ DVD+-RW
L:/ DVD-ROM
J:/ "Free Space" Partition
K:/ CD Drive...Dunno where this came from...might be a virtual drive made by Dameon tools.

Anyway, Thanks for the help, I will go move my pagefile temporarily, then install Hydravision. Then see if a Repair from the win2k cd helps. Then ill see what I can do with a trial version of partition magic....you really only would need that program once everytime you re-store your comp they should lower the price!

#4 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

I finnnaly got around to doing a repair....but it who woulda thunk, that something called Repair, would actually mess up?

Anyway, Upon login, I get an error saying there were erros in explorer.exe....So I try to restart it using taskmanager, but everytime I press on new task, taskmanager crashes.

Anyway, Lukily I got a copy of Dang Small Linux, so I can back up some of my stuff...only prob is I dunno how to use linux very well. Im uising it right now, thankfully it has firefox installed so I got internet at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users