Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open anything, hourglass then nothing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theungod

theungod

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Whether it takes 10 minutes or 2 days, eventually if my computer is on, it will not let me open anything. If I try to open a program, open a folder, shut down, restart, click a link in an IM, try to go to a new page on my browser, all I get is an hourglass that then turns back into an arrow. The only thing I can do is hold down my power button on my computer tower and restart my computer.

I've scanned with AVG, malwarebytes, and bitdefender online. I've done a system file checker. So far nothing has fixed this. I've cleaned my registry with Uniblue and Registry Mechanic. I've defragmented. I consider myself somewhat of a computer expert, and this has me stumped. The only google results I've found on this issue are unresolved, no one has answered the posters query. I need help!

Using Windows XP Pro SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried the suggestions here?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

I've done all of those suggestions, as of right now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

<<The only thing I can do is hold down my power button on my computer tower and restart my computer.>>

If that's true...how did you accomplish all those tasks you claim to have performed?

In any case, I would suggest that it's time for a clean install or a lifetime of trying to figure out what is wrong and how to try to fix all that may be included.

Louis

#5 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

"If that's true...how did you accomplish all those tasks you claim to have performed?

In any case, I would suggest that it's time for a clean install or a lifetime of trying to figure out what is wrong and how to try to fix all that may be included.

Louis"

In the first sentence of my first post it says Whether it takes 10 minutes or 2 days, eventually if my computer is on, it will not let me open anything.

It's not a constant problem, its a problem that occurs at a random point in time which causes me to have to shut down by holding the power button. I don't want a clean install, that will be my last resort. I have too much valuable data and software on here I cannot lose.

Can this problem be identified so we can find a solution?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Only thing I can think of that might remotely respond that way...might be a fluctuating power supply unit impacting the operating system.

Other than malware, that is...and I've not heard of malware that is intermittent in affect on the system.

Louis

#7 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

What antispyware software did you run already?

Got to Start/Run/ and type CMD

Then type mrt

And see if you get something....

But since you already run the most powerful antivirus and antimalware, it seems this is not your problem. Can you tell me how many MB of RAM do you have?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#8 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

I've done a full scan with malwarebytes antimalware, i've gone through my hijackthis log for any suspicious entries, I've done a full scan with AVG, I've done an online scan with bitdefender and panda. I've run SUPERantispyware. I've done everything in the post above, opening my computer case and cleaning the fans, using CCleaner, defragging, optimizing services, everything it listed. Except for ctfmon because with microsoft office 2000 it doesn't let you disable ctfmon but thats not really the problem here and I dont mind it running....

I did the mrt as you said, malicious software removal... and nothing was found.

I have 2 sticks of ram, 1 GB a piece. so 2048 MB of ram.

Edited by theungod, 14 February 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#9 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Then it seems that it is not a virus or malware. It is something with your installation. It does not have to be your Windows, it could be your IM installation, it could be your services, or processes that should not be running. The best way to get rid of it is to reinstall it all.

You can still try Glary Utility and Advance System Care 3 (you can get it from download.com) those programs claim to optimize your settings. After you do the scans and let them do what they usually do, go in Glary Utility to modules, which will rank based on some sort of ranking. See if you got any which are rated more red than green.

Finally, there is this software: The Ultimate Troubleshooter 4.84
http://www.download.com/The-Ultimate-Troub....html?tag=mncol
It will troubleshoot your PC and tell you what you can disable or enable.

Firewall,and such stuff you have? No risk that somebody is using your PC as his external hardrive?

Bit if nothing works, observe which applications you have up and running while that problems happens and start uninstalling and installing it again one by one. Start with IM for example, and end with MS Windows.

#10 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:50 AM

P.S. Uninstall all your JAVA and istall it again.. and so on :-)

#11 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I'll try those three programs, and if my problem happens again I'll see what is open and uninstall and reinstall those programs. I think the only fairly new program on here is Digsby IM chat client, but I can't remember if this was happening before or after I installed that. As far as firewalls go, I'm connected through a secure router so I don't use a software firewall. I live in a very poor rural area, the chances of someone breaking my router's encryption and getting into my computer are probably smaller than winning the lottery. I appreciate all the help so far.

#12 Moron 2

Moron 2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

I just created an acount here because I am having this same problem and can't find it anywhere else. Did you fix the problem? When this happens to me it seams to be after I do larger processor tasks like burning cd's or watching dvds or importing on itunes. By the way I am kind of an amatuer computer builder and do not have much experience in notepad or anything.

#13 Moron 2

Moron 2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

anybody?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Please just start your own post...and give pertinent details of what happens or what doesn't happen...system manufacturer and model...when problem started, etc.

I don't think many persons will read the entire contents of a year-old thread...and respond.

And...no matter how much you might think your situation is exactly like the OP here...it probably isn't.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users