Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I avoid "broken images"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi folks,

This is really driving me crazy. I'm finding whether I use my PSE 7 or my Zoom Browser that came with my Canon Powershot that I am ending up with broken images. Argh! The worst part is many of them are not able to reconnect. What can I do to prevent this problem? Or, what am I doing wrong that causes this problem? At one time recently, I had 4 different photo editing programs on my computer trying to see which I liked best. I'm pretty much using PSE 7, but when trying to print several pics in it's Organizer last night, was unable to do that to it's not being able to reconnect. So, I opened up Canon's Zoom Browser and had the same problem. I keep most of my originals in PSE 7 these days since getting my new software, but I also have some in the Zoom Browser files (by date taken) and then of course I keep most edited pics in My Pictures. Please help, thanks so much.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bogiestl

bogiestl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

Always save your "original" photos to a "originals" folder. DO NOT CHANGE THEM. If you want to change one, COPY it to a different folder, and then go to town on it. That way you always have your safety net.

May not help with some of the old stuff, but will help with the new stuff. Drive space is cheap, so you may as well take advantage of it.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

yeah, having the originals is always a good protection.

It sounds like different problems with other file extensions and OS problems. It would probably be fixed by reinstalling your operating system and cleaning it out that way.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 bogiestl

bogiestl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

Nyah, that sounds a little extreme... Unless you're on a mac, in which case that's the standard answer (and I used it/did it often enough while I was riding herd on a bunch of mac-using consultants...).

Could be a problem with file associations to programs, or could be basically bad links. Or maybe if you are doing this online, if you're saving an image that is too large, or on a slow server, you could also get the "can't connect" problems...

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi folks, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

To bogiestl,

I have heard of saving my originals before, and obviously haven't learned to adhere to that yet, but need to start now. Also, I'm working on a PC, so the Mac info wouldn't apply to me. As to file associations or links, I'm not sure how to apply that idea to jpgs. And, I can tell you, that thank goodness, I'm not doing this on line as I'm on lowly dial up. Thanks for all of your ideas, tho.

To Vaerli,

Don't know about any OS problems, basically my computer is running pretty good these days. I've done enough reinstalling to know that I'm going to hold out on that for a while. Especially being on dial up, getting up to speed after reinstalling is such a pain. I put as many of my apps on CD to make that go faster, but it still takes a very long time on a 5 yo computer.

I just received my order for the PSE 7 "The Missing Manual", so will look in there to see what I can find. I already did a quick check in the index and didn't find anything helpful.

Regards,

Eagle 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users