Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting flooded in email by Mailer-Daemon Failure errors.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carolebrewster

carolebrewster

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

for some reason I am getting Mailer-Daemon Delivery Status notification Failures and not sure what is causing this. I used Malware Bytes, found and removed bad guys, have mcafee, ran hijackthis and posted to www.hijackthis.de and all was ok there. any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Delivery status failure notifications routinely happen all the time.

Erroneous email addressing is the most common cause of this in my experience...or the mail server policies of the addressee.

You may want to doublecheck such.

Louis

#3 carolebrewster

carolebrewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

o ok... well this is on a school district network, with Groupwise, so not sure why this would get through our filters. HUH... Thanks for the help.

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Do you have a "enable other search engines" feature checked on your browser toolbar? This has resulted in folks being directed to bogus search pages, with ads laden with spam-malware. (I had that problem; for a while I got a lot of spams from the former Soviet Union and a lot of bogus mailer-daemon messages.) It is safer to type in the name of alternate search engines, but this would not be practicable with an education system's network, because it would limit use. There may be a safer way to enable search of alternative search engines, you would have to ask someone with greater technological abilities than me.

By the way, use your webmail options to scan the headers on these. View the sources. Do not click on the headers under any circumstances, as they often carry viruses.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

It's also possible that your email address is being spoofed by spammers. The spam appears to come from you. The delivery failure notices would be from accounts that no longer exist. Since the spammer uses your address, the notices come to you. Spoofing is no different than me writing a letter, putting it in an envelope, addressing the envelope, sticking a stamp on it, and using someone elses address as the return address.
Nothing you can do but wait it out, if it is a spoofed address. Spammers never use the same one for long.

#6 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

Try googling your address to see what's come up. I did this a couple days ago after receiving unusual spam. (I have repeated this in other posts, but you will get surprising information.)

Also, social networking sites like Twitter have been infected by spam malware recently. Check the Groupwise security blog to see if that has happened there.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 13 February 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#7 carolebrewster

carolebrewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

gosh... thanks for all the replys. I will check these thing out. Thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users