thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I went over the items of the list you kindly sent, but they do not seem to cure the issue. I also upgraded to IE8, which didn't either, and then wanted to follow your advice to downgrade back to IE7. However, at that point I received mail from the MS analyst who had helped me to reinstall .NET FW 1.1 telling me that she had escelated this new issue to a senior MS analyst who will 'contact me within 72 hours to resolve the issue.' In order to have a reference point, I decided to wait until I allow MS to chip in first. As the problem seems to happen not so unfrequently, I'l keep the forum updated. In the interim, here is a status summary of what I already tried (from the mail I sent back to MS):
Best guesses for origin and nature:
As the problem appeared only after we 'successfully' (? - less clear in retrospect) reinstalled .NET FW 1.1 plus updates using the DotNetFix cleanup tool, my best guess is that either...
('a) Auto-Configuration post that install went wrong, or
('b) as the tool performs registry cleanup functions, some registry entries were changed in error
('c) A note: with one exception, what is blocked from being viewed appears to always be ad-related pictures (stand-alone or those in a href). If in a href, and an alt= txt is present, alt txt displays properly; and clicking the link works as well (this leads to believe that it might be related to phishing or similar security issues). Also have a look at the 2nd attachment about the multitude of blocked cookies which may or may not be related.
Actions taken in the interim in order to try to resolve the issue:
(1) Upgraded to .NET Framework 3.5 (cumulative patch). No error message.
(2) Upgraded to IE8. No error message. Both actions as I hoped that such upgrades would lead to re-configuration of the registry file and so possibly resolve the issue.
(3) After I did 1+2, the error message looks different (no surprise), but appears in essence the same (see attachment)
(4) Certain actions per a check list suggested by bleepingcomputers/pcsupport were taken:
- resetting modem
- cleaning internet temp file
- several full AV etc scans
- i disabled certain IE7/8 add-ons (re-enabled since) (possibly not done for all add-ons and not entirely structured - for the items further below, i remark if I acted in a similar not entirely strucured way by adding a '**' to those items)
- disabled internet related functions (e.g., phishing) of Kaspersky (since undone)
- all following are actions in the Internet Options tabs:
-- Security: (i) I added one site with such issues (a myspace page) to Trusted Sites; (ii) i enabled a variety of scripting options (since undone) **
-- Privacy: (i) disabled pop-up blocker (since undone); (ii) now regularly run under 'medium' level, but have test-reduced down to 'accept all cookies'
-- Contents - Feeds: I changed to 15min refresh (since undone)
-- Advanced: I switched to SSL2 from SSL 3 (and disabled both) (since undone)
Edited by gnometorule, 14 February 2009 - 12:15 PM.