Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm - certain pictures/links in IE7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnometorule

gnometorule

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Computer: VAIO-T360P
AV/MW/Firewall: Kaspersky Internet Security Suite (all ports monitored)
Browser: IE7 (updated will all suggested critical patches)
Wireless Browser: Linksys/Cisco WRT 110

Computer had not been used in 3 years. Updating via MS Updates ran into trouble with getting .NET FW v1.1 + SP + SecUpdates installed. MS Suggested solution was to use DotNetFix Cleanup tool, then to reinstall these 3 files. This worked w/o error message.

Ever since, almost every web page has some pictures/links that cannot be displayed. Error message returned is typically

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm

This seems to be a known issue as there is an MSDN forum thread discussing this. However, this thread is extremely useless - people don't even discuss their OS (e.g., suggested solutions typically are for MS Server 2003 (where poster probably was XP - he seems clueless), or options are blissfully (and, frankly, dismissively) suggested that do not even exist in XP, such as 'simply go to internet options, then change (insert option that doesn't even exist under internet options)').

Screenshot attached for one example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am no computer idiot, but if the solution is very technical, kindly assume I might not have done a similar operation and go slow. :thumbsup:

Many thanks. G.

Attached Files

Edited by gnometorule, 13 February 2009 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hi, my sympathies for what passes as advice in some forums...I see it all the time :thumbsup:.

From what I see, the only possible cure that I would have any confidence in is provided at http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm.../ieframedll.htm . I used to frequent this forum and Tim is a pretty trustworthy, knowledgeable person.

I would install the beta IE 8...doing such so that I leave myself rollback options.

If I didn't like IE 8 and the problem disappeared, I would attempt a roll back to IE 7.

Alternatively...I might try rolling back to IE 6 and then doing a new update to IE 7.

Louis

#3 gnometorule

gnometorule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Hi Louis,

thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I went over the items of the list you kindly sent, but they do not seem to cure the issue. I also upgraded to IE8, which didn't either, and then wanted to follow your advice to downgrade back to IE7. However, at that point I received mail from the MS analyst who had helped me to reinstall .NET FW 1.1 telling me that she had escelated this new issue to a senior MS analyst who will 'contact me within 72 hours to resolve the issue.' In order to have a reference point, I decided to wait until I allow MS to chip in first. As the problem seems to happen not so unfrequently, I'l keep the forum updated. In the interim, here is a status summary of what I already tried (from the mail I sent back to MS):

Best guesses for origin and nature:

As the problem appeared only after we 'successfully' (? - less clear in retrospect) reinstalled .NET FW 1.1 plus updates using the DotNetFix cleanup tool, my best guess is that either...

('a) Auto-Configuration post that install went wrong, or

('b) as the tool performs registry cleanup functions, some registry entries were changed in error

('c) A note: with one exception, what is blocked from being viewed appears to always be ad-related pictures (stand-alone or those in a href). If in a href, and an alt= txt is present, alt txt displays properly; and clicking the link works as well (this leads to believe that it might be related to phishing or similar security issues). Also have a look at the 2nd attachment about the multitude of blocked cookies which may or may not be related.

Actions taken in the interim in order to try to resolve the issue:

(1) Upgraded to .NET Framework 3.5 (cumulative patch). No error message.

(2) Upgraded to IE8. No error message. Both actions as I hoped that such upgrades would lead to re-configuration of the registry file and so possibly resolve the issue.

(3) After I did 1+2, the error message looks different (no surprise), but appears in essence the same (see attachment)

(4) Certain actions per a check list suggested by bleepingcomputers/pcsupport were taken:

- resetting modem
- cleaning internet temp file
- several full AV etc scans
- i disabled certain IE7/8 add-ons (re-enabled since) (possibly not done for all add-ons and not entirely structured - for the items further below, i remark if I acted in a similar not entirely strucured way by adding a '**' to those items)
- disabled internet related functions (e.g., phishing) of Kaspersky (since undone)
- all following are actions in the Internet Options tabs:
-- Security: (i) I added one site with such issues (a myspace page) to Trusted Sites; (ii) i enabled a variety of scripting options (since undone) **
-- Privacy: (i) disabled pop-up blocker (since undone); (ii) now regularly run under 'medium' level, but have test-reduced down to 'accept all cookies'
-- Contents - Feeds: I changed to 15min refresh (since undone)
-- Advanced: I switched to SSL2 from SSL 3 (and disabled both) (since undone)

Attached Files

Edited by gnometorule, 14 February 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

Well...I will only say that...if I had to wait 3 days on a potential solution to what I don't believe is a hardware problem, I would just go ahead and do a clean install and then reinstall my programs and have a definitive starting point for troubleshooting any problems that might develop subsequently.

Especially so in light of the possibility that this may very well be the ultimate recommendation made by others.

Three days is my limit for hardware problems that I cannot solve...then the system goes to the shop or I replace components :thumbsup:.

But this is your system and you should take the approach that you are most comfortable with.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users