Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct X, Java, Flash?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scottlauer

scottlauer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:41 AM

I installed xp pro sp2 intagrated, when I installed my verizon disc I had to install windows virtual machine to read it! Should this be removed? Often I need flash player to see sites, so I installed DirectX 9c, Java JRE version 1.5.0_02, flash player 7 and macromedia shockwave. What is recomended? Also I cannot find the tweak here to unload dlls in xp? Refresher please.
Thanks,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:34 AM

Its a good thing to have all of those.

Macromedia Flash Player is needed to view anything that was compiled in Flash. Which most websites are now starting to use this more commonly.

Java JRE version 1.5.0_02 is needed to view anything that was compiled in Java. This is usually used for many interactive sites: ie: interactive tv games, regular games, chats (like the one here).

Directx9.0c (any version will do, as long as you have the latest one available for your computer) is needed to play most game today on the computer.

I would advise you to keep them.

If the disk you have for installing Virtual Machine uses one of those interactive Flash movies that take up the full screen and ask you what you want to install, then yes I can see why you would need all of this to install Microsoft Virtual Machine. However if my memory serves me correctly I think that 99.999% of Microsoft Windows XP Home and Pro already comes with MS Virtual Machine.

When you say you installed MS SP2 integrated, are you saying you installed MS Windows XP with a CD disk that already had SP2 integrated into that?

And one final thing when you say, "version disk," are you referring to your MS Windows XP disk, or another disk that just has MS Virtual Machine on it?

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
yanowhiz

Edited by yanowhiz, 01 June 2005 - 10:42 AM.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

Virtual Machine is Java. Either that or the Sun Java would work. Many recommend using Sun Java as the preference.

See information on registering/unregistering dll files here.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

Virtual Machine is Java. Either that or the Sun Java would work. Many recommend using Sun Java as the preference.

See information on registering/unregistering dll files here.

Virtual Machine is Java?

Isn't it Microsoft's version of a Java player? So the Java JRE version 1.5.0_02 should work instead of using Virtual Machine?

Edited by yanowhiz, 01 June 2005 - 10:44 AM.

#5 scottlauer

scottlauer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

Yes the xp pro disk is by Microsoft with sp2 in it! It did not contain Microsoft's VM as I understand it is no longer supported. I have heard before to remove the Microsoft's VM and install the java. Anyone remember the regeistry fix to unload dlls after use, believe I once saw a post about it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users