Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Viruses but still painfully slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmrisner

cmrisner

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and I really need some help. I posted about this problem a few days back but sadly nobody replied :thumbsup:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...;hl=blue+screen

Originally I was helping a friend by working on her laptop which would not even finish starting up in safe mode most of the time. When windows would start up fully, there would be a blue screen error shortly after indicating a "physical memory dump" because some hardware or software had been improperly installed. Needless to say the system ran unimaginably slow (took 20 minutes to open IE).

The laptop specs are as follows:

Toshiba Satellite p25-s5263
XP Home SP3
Pentium 4 3GHz
512 RAM
PC-cillin Antivirus
80 Gb HD with 53 Gb free space
IE 7

I have made some progress since then. It seems I have removed all the viruses and malware since malwarebytes and AVG scans find nothing. I ran hijack this and nothing looks suspicious. I even ran a registry cleaner. The performance has since improved. I no longer get a BLUE SCREEN error message but it is still running very slow. The hard disk does not need defraging. I ran debugging mode once prior to resuming windows so I believe that includes a run with scandisk. Cleared internet cashe as well.

I'm running out of things I can think to do. My friend indicated that she hasn't installed any new software or hardware or completed any updates in the last three months other than an installation of MS Word and Publisher.

What could be causing the sluggishness? How can I go about fixing it?

I hope someone will reply to this post :flowers:

Thank you.

Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

I posted about this problem a few days back but sadly nobody replied :flowers:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...;hl=blue+screen

You did get a reply, and a question was asked that you didn't answer. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

You're right...I hadn't noticed..oops...but still, I no longer have trouble booting windows and the system is still very slow.

Edited by cmrisner, 13 February 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Have you read Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

#5 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks tork for the link in your post.

I have now done pretty much everything listed in the post you referenced in your post to speed up the laptop, however it doesn't appear to have improved. It is still very slow for windows to boot and especially for applications to start. What else can I do?

Thanks Chad

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi Chad,

If you've done all that and still no change in the slowness, and your original post indicated you "removed viruses but still painfully slow" - you're probably still infected so the next step I'd recommend is
Read: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis and other Malware Removal Tools, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer
Post your logs in HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users