Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hm. DVD problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:29 AM

Okay. Yesterday I got my totally revamped computer back from the shop. Things work perfectly and I am totally pleased with the speed increase and everything else.

However. This morning I have a new problem, and it's making me totally crazy because there's really no reason for it as far as I can see.

For the past few weeks I've been backing up my DVD collection because I'm going back to college in the fall and I don't want to take my originals with me. So last night I backed up a DVD with absolutely no problem whatsoever. This morning, I tried to continue with my work, but --- and this is the part that has me scratching my head in confusion --- my drive isn't reading any discs. Nothing. Won't read CD-ROMs, audio CDs, or DVDs.

I checked the Device Manager; according to that, my drive is working properly. It's being recognized by the system, apparently, but the drive isn't recognizing or reading any discs.

When I put a disc into the drive, the little green light on the front of the disc flashes rhythmically a few times, but then stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(For informational purposes, my DVD drive is an LG HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GSA 4163B. I'm running XP with an AMD Sempron processor and 512 MB of RAM.)

I'd really appreciate any advice!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

when you put a disc in the drive... listen really closely...
you might want to put a disc in a working drive to have
something to compare what you are listening for to...

do you hear the disc spinning up? or is the drive rather...
quiet? it could be that the spindle that engages your disc
could not be working... or the motor that spins the disc
up to reading speed is not working...

just give this a try!

thanks!

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

Dear Computer Geek,

The same thing happened to me awhile back when I bought a brand new Plextor DVD everything drive.

The drive never read CD's or burned DVD's no matter what. The drive was bad and still is after sending it back to Plextor twice.

I would get Sony DVD burner only! DO NOT USE SONY SOFTWARE! My Sony's have worked perfectly with other software.

Hope that helps,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

Was this drive already in the computer when you had it fixed? Did they replace the power supply? After reading your other post, and finding out your motherboard and so on were fried, and that your CD is also dying, I'm thinking maybe you're throwing a lot of patches at something, possibly without knowing what the real cause was. Power supplies are hard to diagnose, but a bad power supply can destroy everything it's connected to.

However! Since it was recently repaired, it's always possible that you have a loose ribbon cable on the drive - 'mostly working' but not quite.

And while I'm thinking about it - were you having any heat issues? IOW - were the earlier problems caused by overheating, or a bad power supply, or just one thing triggering another?

My ASUS board came with a software monitor that tells me what the voltages and temperatures of the motherboard and processor are. That's a really handy feature.

#5 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

My experience with a similar dvd/cd problem was that the drive simply was bad when I bought it and I got a replacement; however mine was a new external drive and it sounds like yours is an internal drive.

Thought that I would post this anyway. I should say like the other post; that there was absolutely no sound from mine when I was trying to use it.

Hope things get resolved.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#6 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

Thanks to all who replied to this post. The problem's been resolved, all it took was an update on the firmware for my DVD burner.

But thanks again for all the tips and advice! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users