Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best real time protection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 puttputt510

puttputt510

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

I noticed there are a lot of protection software questions her, but my question, I want to be answered by only the most knowledgable computer users on this site. I don't want any rookie computer people to answer my question. Please only people who know 100% what their talking about help me. I have a windows xp laptop. I want to know who software has the best real-time protection in it. In my security part of control panel, the virus protection is off. I have superantispyware program with a lifetime liscene, but the real-time protection on it does not work with the virus protection on my control panel. I also have adaware AE, and spybot S&D, and hijack this. Dont care if the software you suggest is freeware or shareware, as long as it is very good and works with my windows xp. I'm thinking maybe the new BitDenfender paid version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

Does everyone here only have novice experience with computers?

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

Ouch.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

I'll give you a novice's opinion. I've had my computer a little over 3 years now used the Norton AV that came with it a while heavy on the system. Then Norton 360 somewhat lighter than there AV but had other problems with it not scanning right. Avast next, Twister trial worked some keept having false positives when it scanned Opera. Avira Antivir seemed okay didn't care for the GUI. I am back with Avast Home Free nice and light scans deeply unusual interface, got use to it with no problems. As for one best I think no such animal exists.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html Read the PDF users manual if you decide to try it.
I have XP MCE 2005 on my desktop.

Edited by danjmilos, 22 February 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#5 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hello,

In terms of "real time protection", are you looking for an antivirus or antispyware program?

I'm thinking maybe the new BitDenfender paid version

So your looking for an antivirus program?

In my security part of control panel, the virus protection is off

So you are not currently using an antivirus program or you have it shut off?

I also have adaware AE, and spybot S&D

These programs are no longer recommend due to poor testing results.

I want to know who software has the best real-time protection in it

Please remember that no single program is 100% fool proof. A multi-layered approach to your defense system will provide much better protection. Bitdefender is a decent program (I use it on one of my computers). In terms of freeware: Avira or Avast are also good. Many reputable programs will offer a free trial period in which you can see if the program works for you.

SAS is a good choice for antispyware protection. You should also add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpywareBlaster.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

No but that kind of request is unreasonable and will put people off. Everyone has a level of experience and it doesn't deserve to be devalued unnecessarily. The real experts here ignored you intentionally. Maybe an apology would get you back in their good graces. Or you could take a hike.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

BC has a thread

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

I suggest you peruse it and test some that peak your interest.

As a 40+ year novice with computers, what I like to use on various systems may not fit in your expectations.

BTW - this site spans from the person that just bought a system yesterday to Fully Qualified Techs and PHD's in the Science.

I suggest you read some of the threads on the Site and choose.

Welcome to the BC.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

@ puttputt510,

A very helpful article HERE, #7 in particular.

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Very Nice Line RedDawn - Thank You!

I bookmarked such.

#10 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

@RedDawn,
Love my Sandboxie also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Puttputt510,
Worth a look at Sandboxie in addition to Antivirus, antispyware, Firewall and common sense.

Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#11 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

Very Nice Line RedDawn - Thank You!

I bookmarked such.

Thanks Koan, you're welcome :flowers: .

@RedDawn,
Love my Sandboxie also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah t, SB rocks :thumbsup:.

Edited by RedDawn, 23 February 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

No, and do not expect me to answer any of your questions. You have a bad attitude.

#13 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

Wow, this topic is kind of rough. I was going to say something, but I guess I am just passing by! :thumbsup:

#14 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ok everyone, I see that I have come off as rude. The reason for my second response was to see if I could get someone to react and write something on my thread. I'm sorry if I came off as being rude, but after a while of people just looking and not trying to help answer my question, I needed to get the ball rolling in some kind of direction. The reason I am only looking for expects to help me is because; no offense to anyone; but mostly people may think that they know "all that" about computers, when they have only started working around computers. I want people who really know what their talking about,to help me. In my first post, I talk about which programs I have. Now I know that most freeware protection, requires you to buy the paid verison in order to get real time protection. I am looking for real time protection that is compatiable with my windows xp. I am not a mean person, I just didn't want to wait for "god knows how long" for someone to answer. Even novice people, if you know of security software that is compatiable with windows xp, and is goo in protecting, please let me know. What is everyones thought about bitdefender 2009?

#15 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

This is a site composed of all volunteers.
Anyone may post or contribute here.
Your choice to sort out the information presented.

//Go back to my post? = #7 and do some reading please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users