Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Ram, can my comp take it.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iron mum

iron mum

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

I have been finding recently that my computer has trouble handling several memory hugging programs and if I'm running more than two at a time it will cause the programmes to close, freeze etc.
I already have 2 gigs of crucial ballistix (matched pair) and my motherboard can take up to eight gigs, I ran crucials scanner which said that I could do that but it said unless I had a 64 bit comp it wasn't worth adding that amount as it would only recognise 3-3.5 gigs.
Is it worth adding another 4 gigs.
Here's my dxdiag...

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 465MB used, 3474MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mollymoo

mollymoo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

its gotta be worth sticking another set of 2 x 1 in ......... I would :thumbsup:

#3 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Hi there and thanks for your reply.
After reading what I could find here it looks as if I would need a 64 bit OS which is a shame I was looking at upgrading to Vista but my stepfather talked me out of it due to bugs,
they have hundreds of computers were he works and they ended up getting their tech to reinstall XP PRO as all the comps kept crashing.
I think i'll get another 2gigs and leave the rest till I get Vista which will be a while (once they work out all the bugs)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Vista comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so you will still need to go with a 64-bit OS if you wish to go with more than the 4GB.

Bear in mind that if you are running the RAM in dual channel and you wish to add more RAM it needs to have the same specs as the existing modules and you need to install in pairs. These specs should include the timings, speed, and frequency. I would look at adding two 512MB modules, that way you can have the 3GB that your computer will recognize.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mollymoo

mollymoo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

As you advised me too do which i did and its running great :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

On one system, I have 4GB of RAM (32-bit XP Home installed) and the system recognizes 3.37GB of that...which is considerably better (IMO) than my other system running 2GB with 1.75GB recognized.

My recognized/useable data comes from Start/right-click on My Computer/Properties.

Unless something has occurred to increase the price of RAM, it makes sense to go with the 4GB if the motherboard can accommodate it while not worrying about the miniscule amount that is the differential.

That differential occurs because because XP will use a portion of the RAM installed and this portion is not reflected in the useable data reflected in the Properties setting.

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

A 32-bit operating system has a total address space of 4GB, this address space is also used by System ROM, APIC(s), Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers, PCI cards, Graphics cards, and PCI Express cards. Because these are taking up address space a full 4GB of Ram cannot be used. You can install the 4GB and the computer will work, but it will never use that full amount of the 4GB of RAM.

Since this member already has 2GB of RAM this means that they would only be able to use another 1.3GB to 1.5GB of RAM at most, and may even possibly only be able to us a total of 3GB of RAM. There aren't any module configurations that are going to allow you to split this into two slots, for this reason I suggest two 512MB modules for a total of 3GB of RAM. Why pay more for RAM that you aren't going to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

What you said makes sense dc3.
I would really like to add another 4 gigs as I think it would help, I just don't find my comp as fast as it should be especially if I'm running several programes at once, maybeI'll wait a while till I can get XP x64.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users