Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Windows network/Internet problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boobie

boobie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I have a home network that until recently was running well. It consisted of 2 computers, both running Windows XP Service Pack 3, connected to a D-Link router. Initially, a laptop was connecting wirelessly until I could no longer connect to the network. This issue has never been resolved. However, it has been plugged into the network and worked without issue. Curiously, I was able to connect wirelessly through an open access point but can't on mine. Just recently, I added a third computer, with Vista x64. That computer is working well and able to access the network and the Internet without issue.

Perhaps coincidentally, the laptop is no longer able to connect to the Internet, or network, though a wired connection. I consistently get a message stating there is "Limited or no connectivity." Thinking that there might be an issue with the router, I attempted to connect directly through the modem without success. I have also tried rebooting the modem and the router with no changes. I have considered reinstalling Windows but I am hoping for a less time consuming solution. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hi Boobie,

I think the best thing to do for solving network issues is to take a top down approach. Start with the highest basic things first and then try to isolate the problem.

You have started taking this approach by rebooting everything and seeing what works, have you tested the wireless connection since you have rebooted? We need to find out if the problem is related to the wireless card or the network card. To try and fix the network card (wired one) we can try to reinstall the adapter. If you want information about how to do this post back.

we need to try and fix one problem at a time, so lets try to fix the wired issue first and try to connect directly to modem. Once this works, we can move on to doing it through the router. Slowly but surely the top down approach will solve the problem :thumbsup:

Dave

#3 boobie

boobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

To try and fix the network card (wired one) we can try to reinstall the adapter. If you want information about how to do this post back.

we need to try and fix one problem at a time, so lets try to fix the wired issue first and try to connect directly to modem. Once this works, we can move on to doing it through the router. Slowly but surely the top down approach will solve the problem :thumbsup:

Dave

All sounds good. To uninstall and reinstall the device adapter, I go into Device Manager, correct?

Andrew

#4 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Yes Andrew that's right. Also, before you do it (I hope its not too late now lol) get a copy of the latest driver for the adapter. When you uninstall the adapter, also check the box that says "Uninstall device drivers" or something along those lines. When you reinstall the driver, you will need the latest drive file that you downloaded. Lets see how this goes :thumbsup:

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users