Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hidden admin account

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saltedm8

saltedm8

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

hi, a few weeks ago I activated the hidden administrator account to perform an administrative action using
net user administrator active:yes

I have done this many times on my pc, then I used
net user administrator active:no
to hide it again.. switched off my laptop and thought nothing of it

then I logged in today and its still active, so I ran the command again... and it still did not go
so I thought I would log in to see if there was anything that was stopping it, drawing at straws really...

I tried to log in and the password was changed for some reason, so I used control userpasswords2 from the run command to change it
I successfully logged in

no problems that I could see, so i tried deactivating it again, with no luck

I tried to log into the administrator account once again.. and the password was not working... very strange

would anyone know what is going on and how to fix it.. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

Try scanning for malware. This topic has links to free, online scanners: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 saltedm8

saltedm8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

its not malware... it has to do with ms software, I know i am clean, thanks for suggesting though

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Since you know best, I'll leave this for others to respond to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 saltedm8

saltedm8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

sorry, I did not mean to sound rude, but I know that its not malware simply because the computer has never been connected to the internet nor has had any programme that is not from a well known source installed on it

it has

dreamweaver, photoshop and kaspersky ( there just in case I find the need to connect - its my portfolio laptop to show customers their websites before I put it online - I trancfer the files to a disk and put them onto my pc to get them online, so nothing foreign even touches it ), all from genuine bought disks ( obviously that is aside from the usual junk microsoft and acer like to throw into the operating system ) but that's it, I should have said that to start with and I am sorry

Edited by saltedm8, 15 February 2009 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users