Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 install freezes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gyster

gyster

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to install win7 64 bit on an Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro, Q9550, 3g ram, ATI Fire GL V5200, 3 physical HD (2 SATA, 1 IDE) XP Pro 32 bit. With disc inserted on boot, it loads files, then the starting windows screen, and then the blue screen that says Windows 7 build 7000 for testing purposes only in the lower-left corner. I can move the arrow with the mouse, but that's about it. From there, I can only reset or turn off the computer. I have tried setting boot sequence as 1) optical drive with Win7 disc 2) HD that does not have XP (used for data). I have also tried 1) Optical Drive 2) XP Boot drive. Both setups produce the same results other than with option two, I have to select the optical drive by pressing any button on boot up. Any advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the Task Manager to open?
Have you checked the system's compatibility w/Win7? (if it passes the Windows Vista diag it can run Win7)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

I did try ctrl-alt-del, with no results...I'm guessing there's a diagnostic online somewhere to test the system for compatibility...I'll see what I can find and try that...thanks for the time to reply.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

Here's the page for the Vista Upgrade Advisor: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...de-advisor.aspx
Personally, I'm wondering about your video card's ability to handle Vista/Win7
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks all, actually I ran vista advisor before I came back here, and according to that, there were three software warnings that said there may be "minor" problems with partition magic, messenger, and one other app. There were no hardware warnings, and it said the system is capable. I'm wondering about the DVD burner. After it gets past the "loading files" part with the white progress bar at the bottom, the activity light goes out, the "Starting Windows" screen appears for a few seconds, then the blue screen, but the burner doesn't respond even when I press the eject button. I wonder if it may be that or something to do with the usb port drivers. I'm all out of ideas though.

#6 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

This is what Vista Upgrade Advisor lists under the System tab. It says no issues were detected with these devices:

CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 3.00 GB of RAM.
DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
DVD-RW drive No action required You can record DVDs on your computer.
Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.
Windows Media Center Extender No action required Your Xbox 360™ Windows Media Center Extender is supported in this edition of Windows Vista.

Under Devices tab it says it cannot find information on my printer or Sound Max Integrated Digital HD Audio.

Still under Devices tab:

No issues were detected for these devices
The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista.

ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY ATK If you disable automatic updating during Windows Vista installation, go to the Windows Update website after installation to get the latest driver for this device.

ATI FireGL V5200 ATI Technologies Inc. No action required

ATI FireGL V5200 Secondary ATI Technologies Inc. No action required

Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller Marvell No action required

Marvell Yukon 88E8052 PCI-E ASF Gigabit Ethernet Controller Marvell No action required

Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB Intel No action required

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC Intel No action required

USB Mass Storage Device Compatible USB storage device No action required

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller Texas Instruments No action required

Lexmark X6100 Series Lexmark No action required

Under Programs tab:

Review these program issues for Windows Vista
Check the following table for program issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Program Vendor Version Data Source Action Required
PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 PowerQuest Corporation 8.01.000 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

Media Center Extender Microsoft Corporation 2.3.0.0 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

Messenger Microsoft Corporation 4.7.0.3001 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Can you get into Safe Mode? (try rapidly tapping the F8 key just before the Windows splash screen starts).
If everything works, then it's an issue with something that loads in Normal mode - but not in Safe Mode.
The most common thing here is a video driver. Try updating your video driver in Safe Mode.

Beyond that, try burning another DVD on the slowest speed possible. There have been a significant number of issues that I've seen due to burn problems.

#8 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Sorry for wasting everyone's time on this one. The computer wasn't actually hung at that point, the installation was just painfully slow. I tried again, and waited about 15 minutes, when I came back, it was to the next point of installation. So far, everything is working well with XP on one physical drive and Win7 on another. On boot up, I can select either OS, and niether one seems to have any issues thus far. IE 8 on the other hand tends to crash under XP and 7.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you.
You'll have to provide more information about the IE8 crashes.
Separate topics for those under XP (in the XP forum) and here for the Win7 crashes please.

You can probably find info about the crashes in the Event Viewer (under the Windows Logs...Application log file)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users