Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

Well I have gone the gambit with the wireless router install, solved most everything it works great for anywhere between 10 minutes to a half hour then it dies off requiring a reboot of the router then all is well for awhile. Another thing I can not open CNN World news, it looks like it is loading and displays done in the titlte bar but has a very light blue blank screen. So something is still amiss!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

eeeeh I dont know a lot about wireless routers but I'd say the routers bad-probably overheating which is why it works fine for awhile untill it overheats then it locks up. try putting a fan on it and see what it does.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Have you tried using it wired?

Louis

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

The router is only a few weeks old and does not run hot, I have two desk tops hard wired and my laptop wireless. It is not a heat issue as the case barely gets warm. It almost seems like it is a memory thing, it can only handle so many page changes then needs a reboot then it is fine until the next time.

Phil

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

And...you're saying that all three systems exhibit the same problem?

You sure it's not a firewall issue?

Any other problems with the home network setup (files transfers, etc.)?

Louis

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hi thanks for your reply, my setup is two desk tops hard wired to the 160N the laptop is wireless. I do not have the lap tops talking to each other. I have done a lot of poking around about my problem it seems as if a few are having the same issue, I am wondering if the 160 has some sort of ram issue. I bring that up as I read about the possibility, if it is a router ram issue what do I have to do.

Phil

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Update! I have been poking around 160 problems on various sites, on the advice of a few I down graded the firm ware from build 11 to build 8. The connection is holding longer not sure how long but holding, the main computer which has the software on it still has the constant connection light blinking in one second intervals. Not sure where to go now, I am on my old Dell it exhibits no bad habits running off the same router as does my lap top. I posted in the Am I Infected section as one of the sites said I may have some sort of bug, I ran a deep scan on the system with KIS and found nothing. Except for the connectiong light issue the big machine seems to be working ok. I am stumped!!!!

Phil

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

A little more! I down graded the firmware to version 8, it cut down on how quickly the router drops the wired connection. It has not slowed the amount of flashing the connection lights do, just how much and how often should the connection lights flash when the machine is on and sitting idle while reading info on a site.

The flashing issue is on the machine with the Linksys software, the other hard wired machine stops as soon as what ever is done loading.

Phil

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

I don't know about your router...but a blinking light (Internet) on my router indicates that the connection is working properly.

When that isn't blinking is when the connection is broken.

The lights relative to the systems connected to the router remain constant, as well as the power light.

Louis

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

Louis I am probably not to good at explaining sorry! I am talking about the modem lights in my tray, the ones on my Mac modem and the 160N are constantly on the move. What is bothering me its the modem lights, they only blink on the big machine not on my old Dell. They both feed off the 160 I don't understand one having more activity then the other.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users