Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange sound coming from my comp when connected to internet.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 raynleila

raynleila

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hi, I have posted before in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum and had all my malware removed. I have still having some problem and was ask to post a new topic here.

My comp is currently running on window xp pro ver. 2002 service pack 2. When I am connected to the internet and try to run in normal mode, there will be a strange sound coming from my comp, the green light on my desktop will keep flashing and my deskop will not load.

I was ask whether i had uninstall or install any applications from my comp in the previous forum but i cannot remember as i had uninstalled a few applications. One of them is a online music player and a tudou application.

Any help will be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

What does this noise sound like?

Can you determine where it is coming from?

Is this a desktop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:26 AM

I think it's coming from my harddisk. I'm using a laptop IBM thinkpad X24. Next to my power button, there is a flashing green light, that's where the sound came from.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

What does this noise sound like?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

I don't know how to describe the sound. it goes on non-stop, sound like something stuck in the machine kind of sound.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:17 AM

Is it a clicking noise, beeping, a shrill high pitched noise...

#7 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:24 AM

sound more like a clicking sound, not high pitched.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

If this is coming from you hard drive then you should back up all of you important files to removable media like CDs, DVDs, flash drives, or an external hard drive. This clicking sound is known as "the click of death", it usually indicates that the hard drive is failing.

#9 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:35 AM

oh my, than what shouldd i do after i back up my files? how come the sound only occur when i connected to internet?

Edited by raynleila, 13 February 2009 - 06:35 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

This only happens when you are online?

#11 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

I happens when i try to load in normal mode when connected to internet. If i am not connected to internet, it does not happen when loading in normal mode. It does not happen also when i'm using safe mode with networking.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

When you say load, do you mean boot into your Windows operating system? If you are trying to boot into Windows you can't be connected to the Internet. This isn't making sense.

#13 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

My internet is connected through a modem, so normally if i want to use internet, i will switch on my modem and on the power supply and let the computer run. When i does this, the wallpaper will appear but nothing else and there will be a strange sound that i mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, when i did not on my modem, the windows is able to load perfectly fine with the desktop and everything and no strange sound.

Sorry if i sounded confusing. :thumbsup:

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

What happens if you start the computer first and then connect the modem?

#15 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

If i start my comp first, the desktop and everything appears and after that when i connect to modem, the strange sound will appear again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users