Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open "tasklist" in command prompt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KJW88

KJW88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

Hey guys. If I have posted this in the wrong topic forum, forgive me I am new here, and didn't see a forum for command prompt.

Just had a quick question about my command prompt...when I open cmd, and type in "tasklist" to view my processes, I am greeted with and error that states "ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified". I go into the folder for windows/system32, and "tasklist.exe" is there, however I still receive the error in cmd. Any reason why this is happening? Did I accidentally erase something? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

That is not a valid command, try using the Task Master, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and click on Processes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KJW88

KJW88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Tasklist is not a valid command? When I run command prompt at my computer at school, and type in "tasklist", it works just fine, and shows me a list of processes. Same with my other computer, this one however doesn't. I know that ctrl alt del opens task manager, but I was trying to run a program in command prompt, but tasklist was not working. So I am a little confused as to what you mean that tasklist is not a valid command. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by KJW88, 13 February 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

I hate to say it, but I think you are both right :thumbsup:.

That command (nor many others I find listed for XP command prompt) will not run on my XP Home systems and I receive the error message OP noted.

OP is correct in saying that the command should run...according to every list of command prompt commands which I have looked at for XP.

I have no explanation for this...other...wait, I think I see the problem.

http://commandwindows.com/tasklist.htm

"This tool is part of the regular installation of the Professional version of XP but does not come with the Home edition. However, those with the Home version of XP can download Tasklist here."

Sooooo...for users of XP Home, they should expect to receive the error message indicating it is not a valid command (unless they have taken steps to install same in XP Home).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users