Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting XP in Safe Mode with Networking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

Hi,

I just tried to start my computer in Safe Mode with Networking and found I could not do it. The option is there but after I select it and it lists all the things that have loaded, it just stalls and does not go any further. I can start it up in regular Safe Mode but not with networking.

Does anyone know how I can get it to boot into this or even why I cannot?

The reason I was wanting to start it in that is because my virus program is never able to scan the boot sector and I thought maybe it would be able to in Safe Mode, but it will only run in Safe Mode with Networking. Does anyone know if it will scan it in Safe Mode with Networking or do they just not scan the boot sector even though the program has that option?

Also, the boot virus detection on my Asus motherboard has always been set to disable, is that the best setting or should I enable it? Since my virus scan is never able to scan the boot sector I was thinking I should enable that, but I don't know so I thought I would ask.

Thank you to everyone who will help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I just tried to start my computer in Safe Mode with Networking and found I could not do it. The option is there but after I select it and it lists all the things that have loaded, it just stalls and does not go any further. I can start it up in regular Safe Mode but not with networking.

The reason I was wanting to start it in that is because my virus program is never able to scan the boot sector and I thought maybe it would be able to in Safe Mode, but it will only run in Safe Mode with Networking. Does anyone know if it will scan it in Safe Mode with Networking or do they just not scan the boot sector even though the program has that option?

Would you please clarify which mode you can boot into?

What are you running these scans with?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

Would you please clarify which mode you can boot into?

What are you running these scans with?

Hi Dc3,

Thank you for trying to help and I am sorry, I can see where the confusion you have came from. I can boot into Windows normally and into Safe Mode, I cannot boot into Safe Mode with Networking. The program I was trying to run in Safe Mode, is Zonealarm, but Zonealarm will not run in Safe Mode. Zonealarm will only run in Windows booted into normally or in Safe Mode with Networking and I cannot get the computer to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking. Sorry for not making that clear before.

Even if I cannot get Zonealarm to do what I want it to using Safe Mode with Networking, which is scan the boot sector of my computer, I would still like to be able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking in case I need that in the future, so I would like to figure out why I cannot boot into it and fix it.

Thank you again for trying to help me with this.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

I'm still a little confused, why are you trying to scan with a firewall? Most all anti virus programs will scan the boot sector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:44 AM

I'm still a little confused, why are you trying to scan with a firewall? Most all anti virus programs will scan the boot sector.

I am not trying to scan it with a firewall, Zonealarm is also an antivirus program and I do have scan boot sector enabled but I have yet to see that it has successfully scanned the boot sector. I cannot remember what reason it gives but the end result is that the scan failed to scan the boot sector.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that I did a little more investigating and it seems that Zonealarm is scanning the boot sector of my hard drive. The failed to scan boot sector messages appear to be for other drives.

However, my main concern is still that I cannot boot into Safe Mode with Networking and do not know why, or how to fix it, and may need to boot into that at some point. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that one, I would appreciate it if you would please share them with me.

Thank you for any and all help.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi Stang777,

Most likely the reason the you can't boot into this form of safe mode is because your registry key has gotten corrupted for some reason. Most common is because of a previous (or current) infection. Malware nowdays is good at breaking system functions that can help to remove it.

There could be some other cause, but I looked at your earlier topics to see if you have a history that involves having had malware and see that you did have to deal with something in your last topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/202480/trojandnschanger-codec/

I also see by that topic that you have SuperAnitSpyware (SAS) installed, which is good, because it has a way to fix your SafeBoot in a way that I would be most comfortable with as a safe method. However, there are seldom any guarantees when it comes to fixing damage of this sort, and for other reasons, create a new restore point before attempting the following:

Open SAS..
Click Preferences...
Click the Repairs tab
Scroll down until you see Repair broken SafeBoot key and select it.
Click perform repair.

It probably isn't necessary, but I like to reboot after performing such repairs.

Be forewarned--do this at your own risk. I have not used SAS's repair functions nor have I seen it used so I have no idea if it actually works. Please do let us know. The alternative is manually editing the registry, which isn't as easy and can be perilous. Although some instructions I've seen on the net seem to be more complicated than they need to be.

BTW, I understand why you would want to know how to fix this problem, but most solutions may be for the regular safe mode and not the "with networking" one. That boot option is really not needed very often. If you still have regular safe mode you may want to just live with networking not working--and as long as everything else is OK. Besides, if you are on a wireless connection or dialup, you can't connect in that safe mode anyway.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Thank you so very much for explaining everything to me. Understanding why it does not work helps a lot, as does having a way to attempt to fix it should I deem it necessary to fix.

I am a little nervous about trying the SAS repair thing since you have not used it, especially since you do not think it is necessary for me to have this working. If you thought it was necessary for me to have this option working, I would try it anyway, but since you don't, I won't worry about it. I thought it might be necessary in case I have problems and cannot boot up normally and need to download something to fix the problem. I guess I have the good "fix it" programs on my system already, so, I am probably fine without it. I think I will do as you suggested and just live with it unless it becomes absolutely necessary for me to have it.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain all this and helping me, I really do appreciate it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users